Human Nature & Worrying?

June 25th, 2014 at 3:20:50 PM permalink
blount2000
Threads: 5
From another thread:

Quote: AZDuffman
So much of the population wants to worry about something...

I feel like truer words were never spoken.

The older I get the more I seem to be seeing this in many people. Folks appear to want to find something to get upset/worried about. I even find myself succumbing to this way of thinking from time to time before realizing it.

It makes me think of the quote from Agent Smith in the first Matrix movie:

"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery."

Do you think maybe it is human nature, and people are just wanting to feel passionate about something...anything??!!
June 25th, 2014 at 3:36:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: blount2000
From another thread:

I feel like truer words were never spoken.

The older I get the more I seem to be seeing this in many people. Folks appear to want to find something to get upset/worried about. I even find myself succumbing to this way of thinking from time to time before realizing it.

It makes me think of the quote from Agent Smith in the first Matrix movie:

Do you think maybe it is human nature, and people are just wanting to feel passionate about something...anything??!!

I don't think there is a "maybe" about it, I think when the brain does not have to use its defense mechanisms to survive they keep working and force themselves to be used. Ironically, I find that the less situationally-aware people are the more they will buy into silly things to worry about. As expected, I find the less logical the thinker the more they buy into silliness.

It is how freedom is lost.
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2014 at 10:18:53 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

I was talking about this with another member just today. Negativity is king.

Some years ago, AZD made a "Worst Moment in USA" thread over on WoV. Just hours later, I made a "Best Moments in USA" thread, and explained I wanted some effort as it was sort of a psychological experiment comparing our love of negative vs our ignorance of positive.

His thread garnered 72 replies and 2,953 views. It evoked much discussion, and in-depth discussion at that. Seemed everyone had input for a date, or details about a date supplied. Mine got 19 replies and 779 views. Many of them involved a question mark in an "I guess?" gesture. It also included such dates as JerryLogan's birthday, and the date someone lost their virginity. Same thread, same topic, same time. Negativity outranked positivity 4:1, even more if you discount the silly responses.

Negativity wins easily. You can think about this any way you want, between any gender you want, any age group, any demographic. Negativity will always win.

The more apt, and in my opinion, the much more interesting question is "Why?" Is it a product of evolution (or of design, if you're a theist)? Is it something that is ingrained into our being from the jump? If so, why? Or is it rather something that permeates and pervades us as a result of our life experiences? If so, again, why?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 25th, 2014 at 11:29:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
Or is it rather something that permeates and pervades us as a result of our life experiences? If so, again, why?

Because overcoming adversity is always more interesting
than the humdrum of everyday life. We advance by solving
problems and overcoming obstacles. Like without problems
and obstacles is monumentally boring.

Look at movies and TV. To get an audiences attention, you
must have the hero overcome something. Protagonist and
antagonist. It's in our DNA. We're survivors, we're winners,
we like victory. To have victory, you need adversity. Even
if it's welding on a race car and feeling good about a job
well done. The little victories keep us going and keep us
thinking.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 26th, 2014 at 12:47:57 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

I don't think I've ever seen one bitter oldest person in the world.

(When they feature those people who are oldest in the world)

Almost everyone who commits suicide isn't living under the worst conditions possible. They may be suffering from intense depression but few if any are living under extreme circumstances.

The people who probably deserve to go on rampages against the world usually aren't ones who do.

So, make of it what you will.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 26th, 2014 at 6:10:38 AM permalink
blount2000
Threads: 5
Negativity does seem to come easier and also appears to be more "contagious". Some time back I read an article that said it takes 5 positive people to offset the energy/influence of 1 negative person in a group setting.

Those are some tough odds!
June 26th, 2014 at 11:17:41 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Mainly I worry about not being able to handle situations when I might be right but still lose unable to achieve a reasonable quick resolution.