Melissa McCarthy becoming the most successful female comedian in movies

Page 1 of 212>
July 9th, 2014 at 10:01:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Melissa McCarthy becoming the most successful female comedian in movies. I have to admit that I haven't seen one of her movies, as they seem kind of repugnant, but it is difficult to to overlook that kind of repeated hits.

I can't think of any other female comedians in films who wanted to just do comedy. Usually they go back and forth into drama. Roseanne was a good example of a TV comedian, who didn't really try drama.

If you like her movies, then tell me why.
July 9th, 2014 at 11:08:09 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
I'm not really a fan of hers, but I did notice that the reviews for her movie "Tammy" are brutal.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
July 9th, 2014 at 11:33:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Never heard of her, let alone seen a movie..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2014 at 1:25:44 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
She is funny and was funny in Identity Theft for how crazy she was and her delivery of her lines wasn't what you would expect. Tammy doesn't look to be funny though.

Off topic, but a lady we know named Tammy said today she thought the movie Tammy possibly was made by someone she knew who was trying to make fun of her. Apparently she doesn't know anyone with the same name. She also said she thought a swedish massage at a spa included a full release.
July 10th, 2014 at 3:07:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Photo or video clip might be helpful. I've not heard the name or seen any films. McCarthy was a Senator from Wisconsin and, I think, one of the Beatles. Or was that McCartney? Not sure.
July 10th, 2014 at 3:23:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Never heard of her, let alone seen a movie..

Are you sure you and I are not living in the same neighborhood where we cut ourselves off from the pop-culture?

Don't get me wrong, I like it, but if we are in the same place we should grab a beer or coffee or something.....
The President is a fink.
July 10th, 2014 at 10:10:17 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
She is "Molly" of "Mike and Molly" a TV show of some success perhaps due to featuring "hefty" sized middle aged people rather than 18 year old botox beauties with 14 in ch waists.
July 10th, 2014 at 11:41:00 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Melissa McCarthy isn't funny, isn't attractive, and isn't a good actress. (Ditto for her cousin Jenny McCarthy, although Jenny was attractive at one time) Makes sense that both are popular with the Obama-loving crowd. lol

Quote: Fleastiff
She is "Molly" of "Mike and Molly" a TV show of some success perhaps due to featuring "hefty" sized middle aged people rather than 18 year old botox beauties with 14 in ch waists.

C'mon, how many 18-year-olds really use botox? :D
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
July 10th, 2014 at 12:35:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Are you sure you and I are not living in the same neighborhood where we cut ourselves off from the pop-culture?

You're young enough to be my son if you're
early 40's. Was your mom at Woodstock?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2014 at 12:40:48 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Beethoven
C'mon, how many 18-year-olds really use botox? :D

A disturbingly large number.

Melissa was a standup comedian in her early 20's, and appeared on her cousin Jenny McCarthy's TV show in 1997. For many years she played the fat girl with a heart of gold on TV. She played opposite Christina Applegate in a comedy show where Christina's character is a beautiful self involved woman who used to torture the fat girl, but when she gets amnesia she wakes up nice, and the fat girl becomes her friend.

She got a TV show, Mike and Molly where she plays a nice girl in a romantic relationship. But when she hit the age of 40, she started making these movies where she is very crude and vulgar. I haven't seen any of the 5 movies, but they have made a fortune. They had to change the character on the TV show to closer match her character in the movies.

Tammy
The Heat
The Hangover Part III
Identity Thief
Bridesmaids

She has 5 movies in various stages of pre-production, and may end up one of the highest paid actresses in Movies
Page 1 of 212>