Al Jazeera

Page 1 of 212>
September 20th, 2014 at 9:18:56 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I have actually been pretty impressed with Al Jazeera America reporting.
There is so much fluff on TV news these days. Take Bieber. He makes the news every once in a while. Is this really news?
Al Jazeera ignores the Beebs, its not news.
I grew up on newspapers , 60 minutes and the 30 min evening newscast.
I don't really watch 60 min anymore, newspapers are dying and the 30 min evening newscast no longer relavant.
I pretty much get my news off the internet these days just cruising multiple sites.
Cable news just sucks.
Foxnews is totally anti-Obama, just cant watch it. Fair and balanced, lol.
MSNBC - I cant watch Sharpton, cant believe this clown has his own show. I cant believe this guy got hired.
CNN- They are just report on whatever story will get eyeballs and ignore everything else. When the Malaysian flight disappeared, it was 24/7 one story.
I do like Anderson Cooper, one of the few gutsy journalists to cover scientology honestly.

Al Jazeera America, I've been watching lately and quite impressed. They report on the news with no left right slant.
You watch them and you think, wow, these guys really are fair and balanced.
I think what helps is they have a lot of financial backing so they don't have to pander to ratings by reporting on the Beebs or other celebrities like FOX, MSNBC, CNN that need ratings just to survive.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 20th, 2014 at 10:41:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined

Foxnews is totally anti-Obama, just cant watch it. Fair and balanced, lol.

So reporting accurately on Obama means it is neither fair nor balanced?
The President is a fink.
September 20th, 2014 at 1:12:27 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
So reporting accurately on Obama means it is neither fair nor balanced?

The news portion is ok but most of fox is Oreilly, Hannity, Greta, that morning team ect. Just obviously anti Obama.
I believe you think fox is fair and balanced, thats cool.
But thats not the case with the general public,
Take my office, we got high def TV's all over the office to show the news all day, and sometimes weather channel.
Techs set channel to CNN HLN news channel, if they show fox, a ton of people in the office complain.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 20th, 2014 at 1:36:20 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
The news portion is ok
Um...then you're agreeing with AZ. The hard news reports on Fox are fair and balanced. Duh!
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
September 20th, 2014 at 2:14:21 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Mix it up. Don't let anybody get they're propoganda from just one source.

Try some rt to get putins spin.

al aribiya for a different look at MENA new.

I use to wait to watch "Capitol Account with Lauren Lyster"

http://youtu.be/FD-Tdxj-oCA

I don't believe there is a info source without spin or slant or perspective available.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 20th, 2014 at 2:20:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Take my office, we got high def TV's all over the office to show the news all day, and sometimes weather channel.
Techs set channel to CNN HLN news channel, if they show fox, a ton of people in the office complain.

I know what I would do in this case.

I always laugh when people when asked say FNC is biased because the opinion shows are more than liberals. Or they are a balance of guests. Or that Bill Oreilly is a centrist but they say he is not because he dares question the left as well as the right.
The President is a fink.
September 20th, 2014 at 2:25:45 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Journalism has been in decline in this country for decades.

TV news has often been moved to the entertainment budget, they want an early time slot to capture an audience and hold it for advertisers.

Every time the 60 Minutes or 48 Hours trucks showed up in Columbia, MO I'd post that its proof of failure of the local journalists who just produce pablum from police press releases.

Hard hitting investigative reporting is simply not of interest to the bottom line.
September 20th, 2014 at 2:40:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Did you ever hear Chuck Harder news and comment from I believe White Springs Florida?

I sometimes would almost get sucked in and think "maybe" if enough people cared, but alas. Evidenced by his going off air.

He did have some out there stuff as well, but no advertising.

Fleastiff or anyone, do you have an opinion about Greg Palast as an investigative reporter ?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 20th, 2014 at 4:53:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
Fleastiff or anyone, do you have an opinion about Greg Palast as an investigative reporter ?
Well qualified and I like the 'learned right wing economics at the behest of the Weather Underground. Sometimes claims go beyond proof though.

Consider for a moment the recent conviction of two brothers for shipping salmonella contaminated peanut butter. History making. I definitely approve of personal responsibility for such corporate crimes. Though there are countervailing themes. Its similar to my revulsion that insecticide and diesel fuel are served to tourists in Vietnam and Thailand often with fatal consequences even though the tourists are young and in good physical condition. Occasionally, after having ingested such dangerous drugs the tourists are billeted in hotels that over-use insecticides in poorly ventilated rooms to control bed-bug and cock roach problems. Waking up after such an event is problematical.

I am personally revolted by such practices but "fair and balanced" might mean a mention that during Prohibition this country poisoned millions and left at least 15,000 to 25,000 in the American South with a recognized neurological disease from which they never recovered their gait, motor control nor mental faculties. No one prosecuted politicians, not either large scale nor small scale brewers of rot gut gin; they just told jokes about drink it quickly or it will rot the bottom of the glass out.

We read of tremendous overloading of vessels in many areas of the world but the reporters fail to mention how many countries overloaded vessels carrying Potato Famine victims on ships that were clearly not seaworthy or how US ships were often over insured and "captained" by fourteen year old boys or drunken warehouse janitors with no sea experience in their lives.
September 20th, 2014 at 7:57:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Journalism has been in decline in this country for decades.

Hard hitting investigative reporting is simply not of interest to the bottom line.

Foreign news broadcasts always seems more substantive. They seem to be more careful to isolate what is opinion and entertainment from news.

I do think that Fox spends a lot of time interpreting the news.
Page 1 of 212>