2 votes (16.66%)
2 votes (16.66%)
2 votes (16.66%)
7 votes (58.33%)

12 members have voted

September 24th, 2014 at 9:00:53 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
So I just quit Facebook for the 2nd time in my history with the site. Has anyone else quit…? gone back…? would never quit?
September 24th, 2014 at 9:22:50 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
I have deactivated and gone back. Just did again a few weeks ago because I was bored with it and thought it was too much a cost being tracked all the time for what I was getting from it. I also felt the site isolates people intentionally to place more ads and other interests of Facebook, whatever they are. Probably the only thing I'll miss will be being able to visit company sites to see specials and give feedback.

i'll probably go back at sometime, but not for months at least.
September 24th, 2014 at 10:03:15 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I picked bigot.
Never ever belonged to facebook.
I value my privacy,
Dont trust Mark Zuckerberg.

Heard the latest on Zuckerberg.
Due to construction on his dream house, few parking spots availible in the neighborhood.
So Zuck pays peole to sit in cars all night saviing parking spaces for him. What a tool. Neighbors not happy about this.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 24th, 2014 at 10:03:40 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I've never cut it, but sometimes I wonder.

It's sort of like "Real Housewives". It's turned into that place I go to get mad. It's like a one stop shop for seeing the worst in people (again, that might just reveal who I keep as "friends" rather than say anything about the site). It has been useful in identifying who to never trust with my kid / money / well being, so there's that. But I'll probably never get rid of it. It's pretty much the only way we can get numbers for our football game, since so much distance has grown between now and high school. It's easier to use the site than keep and call 50 different numbers on the phone.

The Page site has also been pretty good at advertising. I don't know another way I could get free ads and promotion for my race team, and it allows sort of an interactive experience. I can post pics, vids, and updates, and fans can tune in and comment as they please. No complaints there.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 24th, 2014 at 10:28:48 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I wish facebook would go away and come back -better-. It's not going to soon, so I use it as it serves a purpose with communicating with friends and planning events. It could be so much better. Zuckerberg is a hypocrite, as every time he changes facebook, it makes browsing and sharing -harder- not easier... so much for the seamless web.

The again, the fall of email as a communication tool upsets me, so I'm probably a web dinosaur these days.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 24th, 2014 at 11:24:02 AM permalink
Face
Quote: TheCesspit
I wish facebook would go away and come back -better-.

It's evolved into something very weird indeed.

When it first came out, it was all friends. It was similar to being a fly on the wall, listening in on others' conversations. It sort of allowed you to "be there" if you couldn't actually be there. You shared in their trips, their attendance at games, their kids' b-day party.

Now I don't even know. A chunk of my feed is news about the Leafs and local short tracks, threads that get popped in there because I clicked "Like" some years back. It's not oppressive, so I've no complaints. But everything others click on get packed into my feed, and a great deal of it is click bait. I don't give half a hell on what is primarily conspiracy nut job reports, or highly biased super spin, yet I'm inundated with it daily. A large chunk is what Facebook thinks I might be interested in, and although I'm somewhat savvy in how they determine what to put, I think they must have a bug in their algorithm.

In short, it's all junk. Looking now I have a post about some newspaper under the gun for referring to the Canuck's Subban as "the dark one" (don't care), something from NASCAR (who I don't "Like") about Johnson response to the new rules (don't care), some hippie mom telling everyone how they do it right and we do it wrong (don't care), an ad for Avenged Sevenfold's new album (don't care), some junk car found in a barn (don't care), a few "new high scores" achieved in some game I couldn't give a fart about (don't care), and the release of a Princess Bride version of Monopoly (OK, that's cool). In the top 30 threads on my feed right now, only about 6 are directly from friends, and most of those are something they themselves clicked on (hunter mistaken for squirrel, shot). I think there's two whole original content threads posted (one a camp pic, one update on racer friend in hospital), and the rest is just fluff. And by fluff, I mean several other words which are not permitted to be posted.

In short, it's like a terrible forum that's been drowned in ads, only here the ads are disguised to look like what you came for.
September 24th, 2014 at 11:46:06 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
EXACTLY... Zuckerberg turned a noble, good idea into a Cesspit of link spam and click bait.

One of my friends had a week of trauma with deaths and injuries. Facebook decided it was not important enough to share with everyone on their feeds. Pointless drivel. Not all your liked pages get to show up on the news feed. There's no simple way of showing 'friends' and 'companies' separately. The content assessment for showing 'top stories' is broken, as is the 'top stories' feature switch in general.

It'll collapse under it's own weight. Probably in 5-10 years.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 24th, 2014 at 1:16:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I love FB, I would never quit. It's a great way
to keep up with fam and friends without
having to lift a finger. If they make a post,
just hit 'like' and you're done. I also have
a FB page about a TV show that has over
3000 followers. When I make a post about
an episode, 3000 people see it. Actually more,
when the season is on, FB says about 4500
people viewed the post. It's a great feeling,
reaching out to that many people and a lot
of them saying they really enjoy my comments.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 24th, 2014 at 1:37:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I got late to it, but now I rather like it.

I don't get much stuff I don't want to see, nor mind many of the ads I get. I think it helps to have few "friends" and follow few pages and people. And naturally only people and things I find interesting. I do add a bunch of people for Candy Crush (for tickets) and other games. But as a rule I set things so I don't get their updates, shares, links, photos, etc.

For the most part I get to see things that are of interest, but which I may not have though to look up or didn't know about. And some people post really funny stuff. George Takei is particularly good at it, though he tends to favor puns way too much.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 24th, 2014 at 4:28:16 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Evenbob
I also have
a FB page about a TV show that has over
3000 followers. When I make a post about
an episode, 3000 people see it. Actually more,
when the season is on, FB says about 4500
people viewed the post. It's a great feeling,
reaching out to that many people and a lot
of them saying they really enjoy my comments.

Yeah, the Pages I have no complaints. It's kind of nice to be able to reach a bunch of people who are interested in your cause, complete with stats and whatnot about views and reaches and comments. It's also handy, in my case, to use going forward. Since I'm in a way an "advertiser", I can use the info to show prospective sponsors "look how many people" or "look how many people from YOUR area", or "look how many people from demographic X".

Sure I could WIX a website, but how would I push it from there other than brute force? With FB, I can just "Share" my page and tell people "Hey, "Like" this or I'll spam Bieber links all night long" =p
Page 1 of 212>