Original-ness and political correctness

October 1st, 2014 at 5:51:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
In order to smash all efforts at political correctness, perhaps we need to bring back the Bellamy salute which was done during the Pledge of Allegiance?

What say you?

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 3rd, 2014 at 7:55:45 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Does that go the same for the swastika as anything but a Nazi symbol?
October 5th, 2014 at 6:48:04 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
In order to smash all efforts at political correctness, perhaps we need to bring back the Bellamy salute which was done during the Pledge of Allegiance?
Quote: aceofspades
Does that go the same for the swastika as anything but a Nazi symbol?

Ya know, the Nazis screwed up a lot of good stuff for us.

I'm sure I would have enjoyed the pledge of allegiance a lot more with a manly Roman-style salute instead of the lame hand-on-heart thing! Thanks Fascists!

And as for the swastika, it had honorable beginnings in Persia. I think it meant 'good luck' or something.

I wonder if this dilemma ever arose for a survivor of the Holocaust? A great deal pops up for an heirloom-quality Persian rug ... but the damn thing has swastikas all over it!

btw I think Mussolini's gang has done the same thing to the Fascist symbol - wood rods tied together in a bundle. It appears on the Supreme Court building unless I am much mistaken, and certainly on old dimes [look at a modern dime too, seems to be a torch but echoes the fasces [don't misspell that] ?

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 6th, 2014 at 7:12:35 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
btw I think the Bellamy was supposed to be palms up
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]