50 states of equal proportion

October 6th, 2014 at 7:44:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Credit: A fun geography article on slate:The New United States of America

The average size state at the 2010 census was 6.175 million (less than the population of New York city or Los Angeles county). The article

Neil Freeman undertook the task of coming up for new names for these iso-proportional states. For 11 states he directly used the names of major cities;
New York, Newark,Philadelphia, Washington, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Detroit and Houston. For some states he used variations on a city name (i.e. state of TAMPA BAY).

He did not have a state named San Francisco, Seattle or Dallas.

Hawaii is a remote province of the state that include Portland Oregon, and Alaska is a remote province of the state that includes Seattle.

Pick a few "new states" (example Northern New York with Buffalo, state including Las Vegas, or South Texas) and give your own name before you look at the spoiler.

October 6th, 2014 at 8:00:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Forget giving them names. Just sell the naming rights. You could live in "Microsoft" of "Budweiser." Imagine what the revenue that would raise!
The President is a fink.
October 6th, 2014 at 12:02:45 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
The red one with Green Bay and Duluth: Superior.
SF area: Baysville
Hopefully there's Portlandia
The area north of Detroit: Evenbobville (I'll call it Northern Lakes)

Though I wish you showed the actual map with the names omitted.

I don't get ShipRock.
October 6th, 2014 at 1:32:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: boymimbo
Though I wish you showed the actual map with the names omitted.
I don't get ShipRock.

The author only supplied the map shapes without cities. I would have had to blot out each name that he used.

The sources of the 50 names were:
cities – 11-Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Washington
debatable-1-He says Columbia was named after a city. I feel that Columbia is a name that goes deeper than the name of city.
mountain ranges or peaks, or caves –12
rivers – 9
historical or ecological regions – 3
bays, capes, lakes and aquifers – 7
songs – 3
plants – 2
people – 2

The answer to your question is in the spoiler

mountain ranges or peaks, or caves – Adirondack, Allegheny, Blue Ridge, Chinati, Mammoth, Mesabi, Ozark, Pocono, Rainier, Shasta, Shenandoah and Shiprock
rivers – Atchafalaya, Menominee, Maumee, Nodaway, Sangamon, Scioto, Susquehanna, Trinity and Willimantic
historical or ecological regions – Big Thicket, Firelands and Tidewater
bays, capes, lakes and aquifers – Casco, Tampa Bay, Canaveral, Mendocino, Ogallala, Salt Lake and Throgs Neck
songs – Gary, Muskogee and Temecula
cities – Atlanta, Chicago, Columbia, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Washington
plants – Tule and Yerba Buena
people – King and Orange

The names chosen were from languages (partial list) Abenaki , Algonquian , Apache , Choctaw , Iroquoian , Lakota , Luiseño , Mamaceqtaw , Mohawk , Muscogee , Nahuatl , Odawa , Ojibwe , Potawatomi , Susquehannock , Wyandot and
Calusa(Tampa) , Miami-Illinois(Chicago), Mayaimi(Miami ), French (Detroit), Greek (Philadelphia, Atalanta, Phoenix) ,Latin (Columbia).

Keep in mind that this is an art project, and there is no way you would pick the same names.
October 7th, 2014 at 9:36:06 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Forget the names,,, what happens at re-apportionment time when lines have to be re-drawn?
October 7th, 2014 at 10:35:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Forget the names,,, what happens at re-apportionment time when lines have to be re-drawn?

Well obviously if States had boundaries like congressional districts it would be crazy.

Clearly these 6 states should be one state
 Nebraska 1826341
 Idaho 1567582
 Montana 989415
 South Dakota 814180
 North Dakota 672591
 Wyoming 563626

This should be one state
 Vermont
 Maine
 New Hampshire
upstate New York