2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

November 22nd, 2014 at 4:49:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
Now if you can just add heartrate you will have a better idea of how you are going to hold up when you are racing over 6 hours.

I have a very slow heart rate and I think you would be surprised how little it varies according to how hard I'm working out.

Today I did two rides, to and from the state football championship, which was held at Bishop Gorman high school. My team (where all three of my kids go) lost. I broke it into two separate trips:

12.4 miles outboud

14.4 miles return

At 26.8, this sets a record for the most miles I've rode in a single day.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 22nd, 2014 at 8:49:06 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I have a very slow heart rate and I think you would be surprised how little it varies according to how hard I'm working out.

In that case, those are very exciting runs. I see that you are breaking 12 miles per hour briefly both coming and going. You may break 8 hours with 29" 125mm cranks.

Are you kids proud of you when you show up on a unicycle. Do they point you out to all of their friends?
November 23rd, 2014 at 12:48:51 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
In that case, those are very exciting runs. I see that you are breaking 12 miles per hour briefly both coming and going. You may break 8 hours with 29" 125mm cranks.

I don't trust that speed graph when it spikes up. That APP is ultimately GPS based so I imagine there is some error in triangulating my position sometimes. The best my speed gets is a little over 8 MPH on that unicycle as it is.

Not that you asked, but I maintained a 2.73% incline, or 1.55 degrees, for 3.8 miles on that ride. That doesn't sound very impressive as I write it, but it is harder than it looks.

Twice in the last week I heard different people mention "everesting," which means to rise the altitude of Mount Everest somehow. It is allowed to descend, without it counting against you, lest you have to get from sea level to the summit. At that slope, I would have to ride for 201.2 miles to do an "Everest." Maybe something I'll try to accomplish withing a week at a later point.

Quote:
Are you kids proud of you when you show up on a unicycle. Do they point you out to all of their friends?

I'm sure they are bored with it. However, my son's friends get a big kick out of it.
November 23rd, 2014 at 5:16:50 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Not that you asked, but I maintained a 2.73% incline, or 1.55 degrees, for 3.8 miles on that ride. That doesn't sound very impressive as I write it, but it is harder than it looks.

You have to be familiar with grades to be impressed. A railroad would go out of business with 2.73% inclines.

Twice in the last week I heard different people mention "everesting," which means to rise the altitude of Mount Everest somehow. It is allowed to descend, without it counting against you, lest you have to get from sea level to the summit. At that slope, I would have to ride for 201.2 miles to do an "Everest." Maybe something I'll try to accomplish withing a week at a later point.

I am sure that there is some moving average time involved in that calculation. If your moving average time was 5 minutes, you may not register any elevation change, but if was 10 seconds you may get a long list of positives and negatives.
November 23rd, 2014 at 6:53:49 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I am sure that there is some moving average time involved in that calculation. If your moving average time was 5 minutes, you may not register any elevation change, but if was 10 seconds you may get a long list of positives and negatives.

There wasn't. Mt. Everest has a summit at 29,029 feet above sea level. Based on that slope to get the bike trail yesterday, I rise 0.027 feet for every one foot I travel. To take the inverse, it takes about 37 feet horizontally to climb one vertical foot. 37 * 29,029 = 1,074,073 horizontal feet = 203 miles. If I did 20.3 miles per day on this incline, then I do an Everest on a unicycle in 10 days.
November 24th, 2014 at 8:23:01 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I don't trust that speed graph when it spikes up. That APP is ultimately GPS based so I imagine there is some error in triangulating my position sometimes. The best my speed gets is a like over 8 MPH on that unicycle as it is.

Are you using a phone or a dedicated GPS? Phone GPS, in my experience, is inaccurate for running. About a 5-10% 'wiggle' in the routes leading to longer runs than I actually did.

Elevation is hugely dependent on the topography of the site maps being correct. I believe Strava have US survey maps in use, so should be good. I got more accurate readings in Canada using a German site that was reading from a better data source... the Canadian survey maps they have on Strava show the hill behind my house having two peaks when I run up it. I can assure you, it doesn't.

Quote:

Until you run/ride up a slope, you don't notice it....

Quote:

Hmmm, neat idea for next years running challenge! Thanks!
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 24th, 2014 at 2:27:35 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I did a ride from the new Summerlin Center to the Red Rock (south) overlook. Here is the Strava entry.

This probably lets a new record for the most elevation gained in a ride. The net increase is 825 feet, but if you don't count the short downhill parts, it is probably more like 900 feet. Not that big a deal. Next time I'll it from my house.

At the steepest point when going uphill I was gaining 121 feet per mile, which is a slope of 2.3%.
November 25th, 2014 at 6:08:43 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Ayecarumba
Wouldn't it operate like ballast on a ship?

It would work if you hung the weights on the forks, not the axle, AND the center of gravity would have to be lower than the bottom of the tire. So, it could work on a tightrope or aome other elevated surface.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 26th, 2014 at 5:15:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Record for the longest single ride today at 25.2 miles. Here is the Strava entry.
November 26th, 2014 at 5:45:24 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Wow, that's 50 miles in less than 6.5 hours. With a significant elevation change too. Well done!