5 votes (22.72%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

March 23rd, 2015 at 9:39:56 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
Maybe I could do it faster at 35 but I could still do it now. Plenty of people well over 50 have done the PCT and AT.

Bob does not have enough faith.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 23rd, 2015 at 7:42:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Like I said, 50 doesn't hit you till you start
getting the AARP crap in the mail and
realize you qualify for a senior discount
in many places.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 24th, 2015 at 2:22:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
I've never said anyone should get one (except some particular person at work, annoying little.... but I digress).

What I said was "And perhaps won a Darwin Award in the process?"

In a bicycle the rider's weight is spread on the frame and two tires. On a unicycle it doesn't. That might make a big difference.

I won't argue the correlation between sperm count and the weight distribution on unicycle.

What I will say is that the average man has two kids and some 50 good years to father them. The average man does not need to be in peak fertile shape all of the time. Birth control would not be a huge business if people were trying to have as many children as possible.

I interpreted your remark to mean that it was a good thing for the human race that the unicyclist in question did not reproduce.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 24th, 2015 at 5:51:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Long term, I'm thinking of doing the Camino de Santiago on a unicycle.

I did find some nice photos of a unicyclist on the Camino

Very romantic looking. I think this is an excellent goal for your 6th decade.

March 24th, 2015 at 6:44:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
I did find some nice photos of a unicyclist on the Camino

Thank you for finding them! I was wondering what kind of unicycle I should do it on. That looks like a 29" wheel, with long crank length, off-road tire, and a break. I was definitely planning on something appropriate for off-road but was waffling between a 24" and 29" wheel. I wonder what he used the walking stick for. It helped to balance the unicycle for pictures, but I wouldn't lug it along just for that.

Hopefully there will be no Darwin Award comments about that guy.

In other unicycle news, I did not attempt the River Mountains Loop today. It is already going to be a busy week with the license plate show in town and then goofing off next week for spring break. Looks like it will have to wait until early April.

However, I am planning to climb up Lee Canyon road on Sunday. It is steep and long. This is parallel to road that takes visitors from the Vegas valley to a ski area. More details to follow.
March 24th, 2015 at 6:51:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
March 24th, 2015 at 7:27:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I see from the first picture he is wearing leg and arm armor. I wonder how necessary that is. Some of the pictures in his big photo album looked liked very rocky trails, where armor would be expected, but I would just walk those sections. Old bones like mine break easier than those of a young buck like him.

The wheel cover I have never seen on a unicycle before. I guess he expected to see a lot of rain.
March 24th, 2015 at 11:22:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I guess he expected to see a lot of rain.

Photos are dated the last week in October which is a fringe season. It isn't real cold yet, but there is heavy rain.

I think he rellishes the medieval knight look.
March 29th, 2015 at 2:56:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I'm proud to say that I just went up Lee canyon today on my 29" unicycle. Lee Canyon goes from the desert floor, not far from Vegas, to the Mount Charleston ski area. Here are some key statistics:

Total elevation gain: 5,429 feet! This is double my previous record. This is 1.03 miles, people.
Total miles: 17.7
Riding time: 2:57
Total time: 3:28
Average speed (when moving): 6.0 MPH
Average slope: 5.81%.

I felt more tired after this than my 53-mile Henderson ride. 18 miles of a steep uphill grade was just brutal. Fortunately, my wife met me at the top to drive me back down. I also went with my main unicycle buddy Mark and his wife (on bicycle).

Strava link.

Hill Climbs -- This climb is listed as the 6th best in the country according to this article.

A ‘wheely’ amazing way to end my last weekend in Vegas! -- Blog entry by Karen in large part about this climb. She did it with us on a bicycle.
March 29th, 2015 at 4:24:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I'm proud to say that I just went up Lee canyon today on my 29" unicycle.

Fortunately, my wife met me at the top to drive me back down. I also went with my main unicycle buddy Mark and his wife (on bicycle).

Congratulations Michael. You never cease to amaze.

I guess with a bicycle your biggest worry on the return trip is catching a cold. No such reward on a unicycle.