It's Android Lillipop (really)

Page 1 of 212>
October 15th, 2014 at 1:35:57 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Google announced its latest mobile OS. IN keeping with the revered tradition of suing candy-like names, this one's called Lollipop (really).

You know, when I came across Android, I first thought the candy names were cute. Now I'm sick of them.

Apparently, too, the idea of tying the OS name with a candy brand failed, or did not succeed well enough to be repeated this time around.

Anyway, it will launch first on the new lines of Nexus devices, then one assumes in older lines of Nexus devices, and about a geological era later (in modern mobile product times) in other devices.

No doubt we'll hear some more about Android fragmentation soon. Pardon me while I yawn. It's obvious Android will remain fragmented until Google can skip 1) device makers and 2) cell providers. it would help is apps were updated so they wouldn't run on older versions, too, but that might lose Google app store money.

It's not like I care, anyway. I neither develop (ha ha) nor sell apps. And my Nexus 7 doesn't depend on the whims of device makers and cell providers. Kit-Kat became available very soon after it debuted (and yet I miss Jelly Bean; the blue vs white icons to indicate a function was active is much nicer than the current white vs gray).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 15th, 2014 at 2:24:18 PM permalink
Nareed
BTW, the other day in Morelia I was looking for the control to dim the tablet's display, and I found an option labeled "cast screen."

I'm assuming this lets you use Chromecast to mirror the tablet screen on the HDTV. Alas, I've been leaving work way too late to be able to experiment. This is on Kit Kat, whatever latest version the Nexus 7 (2012) is running. It's found in settings under "display."

I don't know what it might be good for yet, but perhaps it could come in handy for some features on some web pages. Sometimes the tablet screen is just too small.
October 20th, 2014 at 10:58:53 AM permalink
Nareed
Rumor has it the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 7 (2012) devices will get Lollipop in November.

Also that Sony's Experia Z line, phones and tablets, will get it "soon."
October 28th, 2014 at 2:55:30 PM permalink
Nareed
Lollipop is less than a week away.

The prudent move, of course, would be to wait a month or two for all the bugs, holes, fails and undocumented features, well most of them, to be discovered and hastily patched. But 1) I would like to try some of the new features and 2) I want to reset my tablet and start over fresh (everything germane is in "the cloud" anyway); a new OS is the time to do so (and then I can download only the apps I actually use).

So I'll go the early adopter route for once.

Then I'll complain bitterly about it.

Come on. it's not as though you don't expect it. ;)
November 4th, 2014 at 7:22:07 AM permalink
Nareed
It's November 4th, and there's no sign of Lollipop hitting the Wi Fi yet.

As I understand it, you can run it now if you have a Nexus 6 phone or a Nexus 9 tablet. Otherwise it seems you'll have to wait a few days or weeks. Unless you can get a Beta, but a Beta this late in the release phase makes no sense.

At that, some apps I've updated lately promise Lollipop support, or even better Lollipop support (come on, you never dreamt you'd be capitalizing the word "lollipop," and you think it looks ridiculous).
November 5th, 2014 at 7:02:15 AM permalink
Nareed
All's quiet on the OTA Upgrade Front.
November 6th, 2014 at 10:42:37 AM permalink
Nareed
The newest rumor says Android 5.0 "L" "Lollipop" will go out OTA to Nexus devices (4 and 5 were mentioned) by Nov. 12. Apparently there is a bug with the OS and the Nexus 5 battery.

Coincidentally (?) Candy Crush Soda Saga will be released in 6 days to Android deices via the Play Store.
November 11th, 2014 at 12:47:17 PM permalink
Nareed
According to rumor, Android L should be out tomorrow. We'll see.

Candy Crush Soda Saga will be out tomorrow. The game even sports a countdown now.
November 12th, 2014 at 6:48:19 AM permalink
Nareed
No Android L Lollipop as yet, not for the Nexus 7 (2012) in Mexico City.

But I'm already stuck at a level in candy Crush Soda. It's nice to know some things work just fine ;)
November 20th, 2014 at 10:42:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Still nothing. But ZDNet ran an article today about various Nexus devices pretty much becoming expensive paperweights after installing Lollipop. Everything from apps that won't run, to dropped wiFi, to phones with sound problems.

I think I'll keep an eye on this, and wait for the 5.01 or 5.1 inevitable fix before upgrading.
Page 1 of 212>