No matter your ethnicity, ABC wants you!

Page 1 of 212>
October 15th, 2014 at 4:21:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
ABC started 6 new sitcoms this year, and they seem to want to cover all ethnic social groups. I wonder what happened with Cosby writing a sitcom where the race if the family was incidental to the comedy.

'blackish
Fresh off the Boat (Taiwanese)
Cristela (Mexican)
Selfie (Scottish|Korean)
WASP (Manhattan Love Story)
LGBT (Galavant) - that last one may not be fair

October 15th, 2014 at 4:28:55 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
So Selfie is pygmalion/my fair lady, the series? Looks terrible.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 15th, 2014 at 4:57:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: TheCesspit

ABC has a difficult time on Tuesday nights. CBS has it's biggest show, NCIS, on Tuesdays, and NBC has it's biggest show, "The Voice" on Tuesdays.

It's almost a guarantee that whatever ABC puts on will be cancelled. I think they hate to waste their good shows against such competition. So "Selfie" is a long shot against surviving.

John Cho has been doing pretty well in TV and films for 17 years, and Karen Gillan is a favorite newcomer in Britain. It seems a shame to put them through the meat grinder like this, but I guess every actor hopes that they might be the one to pull it off. Unfortunately, as expected, it is ABC's lowest rated show, and probably won't even air the full 13 episodes.
October 15th, 2014 at 4:59:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I threw up in my mouth watching it..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2014 at 7:31:42 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Fresh of the Boat is a telling of Eddie Haung's childhood... he's infante terrible of the food world. Looks like a version of Everybody Hates Chris.

Black-ish... erm, yeah... Lawrence Fishburne might save it, but I doubt it.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 15th, 2014 at 7:42:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Blackish. Let me get this straight. It's
now OK to point out the differences in
the races in every sentence if you
happen to be Black? Why don't I think
we'll be seeing a Whitish show, where
the dad yells at his kids for not being
White enough. Where he gives them
lessons in how to be White. That
would be racist as hell, but Blackish
isn't? It's the most racist thing I've
seen since Sanford and Son.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2014 at 7:51:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
These are all awful, the blatant racism on
three of them is appalling. Bashing whites
is the new norm? I'm reminded of why I
stopped watching network TV.
October 15th, 2014 at 10:05:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Black-ish... erm, yeah... Lawrence Fishburne might save it, but I doubt it.

Are you kidding? Out of the 7 new sitcoms released on all network channels, "black-ish" is by far the most successful, with ABC giving the show a full season order.
"Black-ish" is even getting higher ratings than the older ABC sitcoms like The Goldbergs, and The Middle (which will have 144 episodes by the end of the year).

ABC
1)Manhattan Love Story
2)Cristela (F)
3)Selfie
4)black-ish

NBC
5)A to Z
6)Bad Judge

CBS
no new sitcoms yet

FOX
7)Mulaney
October 15th, 2014 at 10:44:43 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Pacomartin
Are you kidding? Out of the 7 new sitcoms released on all network channels, "black-ish" is by far the most successful, with ABC giving the show a full season order.

Giving my view if I am likely to watch it, rather than whether it'll do well. Had no idea of the various ratings....
October 15th, 2014 at 11:01:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Giving my view if I am likely to watch it, rather than whether it'll do well. Had no idea of the various ratings....

Modern television networks cancel the huge majority of sitcoms in their first two years. When someone says "save it" I assume that they mean it won't be cancelled.

It's a good natured show, but I have to wonder how many men in real life have said anything equivalent to: "I want my family to be black, not black-ish."

It's like sitcoms with dumb blondes from 30 years ago. The idea of telling those jokes just seems dated.
Page 1 of 212>