Roku TV's

November 2nd, 2014 at 4:28:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The first TV''s with integrated Roku boxes are now available.

Sizes are 32", 40", 48", 55" and weigh from 9 pounds, 18.6 lbs, 28 pounds and 38 pounds. Works from smart apps or remote.

While this news may seem boring to some people, the thing that I like is you have a TV of a decent size that is completely compact wherever you have wireless and a single plug. You can put it on a deck on a nice summer day to watch football, you can move it into a remote room if you have children visiting and you don't want to hear them.

The final possibility is you don't want a dedicated TV room - just carry this TV from the closet, plug it in and you can watch streaming television. Of course, you can also plug in cable, antennas, video games, DVD players, etc. just like any other TV.
November 2nd, 2014 at 5:21:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Saw that they were out, I'm not so sure. I prefer to be able to easily upgrade if and when Rouk improves or gets beat. I do love my Roku, going to buy one for a friend as a housewarming gift.
The President is a fink.
November 2nd, 2014 at 7:00:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
I prefer to be able to easily upgrade if and when Rouk improves or gets beat.

I was expecting the TV to come with Roku on a card that could be removed and replaced. You may not be able to change brands, but you could upgrade.
That said, these are not super high quality TV's. They are good quality and at a lower price than competing brands (even without counting the roku). The chances are the life of the TV may not permit you going through generations of Roku. I have one of the original Roku boxes and it works fine.

Now that computers do not require external disk drives (floppy, CD, etc), they can be made small enough to attach to the four screw holes in the back of most TV's (originally designed to hange them on a wall). A roku tv with a tiny computer mounted to the back is now a full fledged entertainment and computing center. I have one of these ASUS computers

I probably wouldn't replace anything either, but it may be a consideration for a new TV. I like the ease of portability. The cable companies keep promoting the idea of using iPads around the house to watch TV. The idea of spending $600 to have a 9" screen to watch TV seems stupid. The possibility of spending $300 to have a 9 pound 32" screen seems to make more sense. For another $200 you can attach an ASUS computer to the back, and buy a wireless keyboard and mouse and make it a computer with a big screen.