What does this commercial mean

Page 1 of 3123>
November 4th, 2014 at 9:18:27 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Judy greer is in her late 30's. Is this commercial making fun of haul videos? Does this mean that women will feel like teenagers again? Is it just attention getting? I feel like I don't understand commercials sometimes.
November 4th, 2014 at 9:50:05 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
What's a "haul video"?

I think it's trying to imply you'll feel all giddy and stupid like a teen, it's so good. It also conveys, to me, a sort of hidden loathing of these types of people. Maybe the director snuck it in, maybe it's nothing. Either way, dumb commercial.

We should do a Great Commercial thread. I think EB posted a Bud one somewhere long ago, and I remember it being good. I think ads have a capability of being art themselves, but don't really know anyone who's taken it there.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 4th, 2014 at 10:41:49 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Face
What's a "haul video"?

I think it's trying to imply you'll feel all giddy and stupid like a teen, it's so good. It also conveys, to me, a sort of hidden loathing of these types of people. Maybe the director snuck it in, maybe it's nothing. Either way, dumb commercial.

We should do a Great Commercial thread. I think EB posted a Bud one somewhere long ago, and I remember it being good. I think ads have a capability of being art themselves, but don't really know anyone who's taken it there.

My favorite commercial
Apple 1984

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 4th, 2014 at 10:44:15 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
What's a "haul video"?

Youtube video of all the stuff someone brought on their shopping trip.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 4th, 2014 at 10:51:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
What's a "haul video"?

I just learned this, because the governments of the USA and Canada are increasingly regulating these videos.

It is when a teenage girl goes to a store and shows off her "haul". She describes the clothes she bought and the prices. They are becoming a major marketing tool now among retailers and have made some teenage girls (particularly the one below) very wealthy. They seem to involve non-stop talking.
November 4th, 2014 at 11:00:09 AM permalink
Face
Quote: terapined
My favorite commercial
Apple 1984

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

Very interesting what 30 years does.

I see this as a prophecy. The world is all drones. Tyranny reigns. They even refer to "1984". And here comes Apple. Fresh, vibrant, in color. A woman, in shorts, wielding a hammer? You too can have power previously unimaginable. And with that power can blow to bits the Orwellian society forming around us.

Fast forward thirty years. How much of this "Orwellian-ness" we currently see is now a direct result of the advent of the computer? The very computer they pitched in the anti-Orwellian ad?

Life's funny.
November 4th, 2014 at 11:04:41 AM permalink
Face
Quote: Pacomartin
I just learned this, because the governments of the USA and Canada are increasingly regulating these videos.

It is when a teenage girl goes to a store and shows off her "haul". She describes the clothes she bought and the prices. They are becoming a major marketing tool now among retailers and have made some teenage girls (particularly the one below) very wealthy. They seem to involve non-stop talking.

Your vid doesn't show for me. I'm not complaining, just saying ;)

These must be from the same sects that catalog filtered pics of their daily meals, yes?
November 4th, 2014 at 11:56:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Is it just attention getting? I feel like I don't understand commercials sometimes.

It's to make you look at the screen
if you're not. Old trick, a lot of TV
commercials do that with a strange
loud or obnoxious sound. Even if
it's irritating it's makes you look and
that's what they want.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 4th, 2014 at 12:12:11 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Judy Greer is sexy as hell

November 4th, 2014 at 1:06:43 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Very interesting what 30 years does.

More. the book was written in 1948 ;)

For me, what's memorable about the Apple 1984 ad is that it was not directed against Microsoft, but against IBM.

Ironically, though, Apple became a cult later in its corporate life.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 1 of 3123>