How To Slow Your Heart

November 4th, 2014 at 2:20:56 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I'm sick. Ash's niece got the croup. When she breathed it out it had just enough time to mutate and adapt to my adult body, so now I have diphtheria and consumption all at once and at the same time. It's bad. You don't want it.

I can't get my heart to cool it. My usual resting rate is 45-50 bpm. If I'm up and at em, that might rise to 55-60. Right now, it's blattering along in the mid 80s and has been doing so for two days. It's exhausting. It's like 48hrs of hockey that I can't stop.

How can I short circuit it? I've had some success "controlling" it in the past. Up is kind of easy. Give me 3 minutes of quiet time and I could raise it 10 even 20 bpm. I've even been able to bring myself to sweat just working my heart up mentally. Lowering has always been a crap shoot. Usually it's just focus and deep breathing that usually does nothing. Occasionally I'll have success, but even then we're talking a difference of 5bpm or less.

I'm not stressed, no heart issues, no mental issues like anxiety. I'm just sick. Surely there's a way to turn this thing down?

(Nareed, feel free to derail with comments on the differences between men and women as it pertains to illness ;))
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 4th, 2014 at 2:27:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2424378
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 4th, 2014 at 5:36:01 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Face
I'm sick. Ash's niece got the croup. When she breathed it out it had just enough time to mutate and adapt to my adult body, so now I have diphtheria and consumption all at once and at the same time. It's bad. You don't want it.

I can't get my heart to cool it. My usual resting rate is 45-50 bpm. If I'm up and at em, that might rise to 55-60. Right now, it's blattering along in the mid 80s and has been doing so for two days. It's exhausting. It's like 48hrs of hockey that I can't stop.

How can I short circuit it? I've had some success "controlling" it in the past. Up is kind of easy. Give me 3 minutes of quiet time and I could raise it 10 even 20 bpm. I've even been able to bring myself to sweat just working my heart up mentally. Lowering has always been a crap shoot. Usually it's just focus and deep breathing that usually does nothing. Occasionally I'll have success, but even then we're talking a difference of 5bpm or less.

I'm not stressed, no heart issues, no mental issues like anxiety. I'm just sick. Surely there's a way to turn this thing down?

(Nareed, feel free to derail with comments on the differences between men and women as it pertains to illness ;))

Go see a Doctor.
If I get a standard flu. I ride it out.
Anything unusual or weird, I go to a Doctor. These days , just about anything can be cured, as long as its detected early.
Increased heart rate, I'm seeing a doctor.
I actually had that once, just high heart rate, I'm thinking wtf. couldn't sleep. Went to the doctor, gave me a shot. boom, good to go.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 5th, 2014 at 11:58:54 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Heart rate and respiration rate are tied together. If you slow your breathing, your heart rate usually slows.

However, heart rate and fever are also tied together, with your immune system working hard to produce new cells wiped out battling the germs. It is a good thing.

Chemical imbalances can also cause your heart rhythm to change. Have you done anything different with your diet recently? Lots of caffeine, acai, or electrolytic energy drinks?
November 5th, 2014 at 12:31:59 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
Quote:

How can I short circuit it?

I think it is your body doing what it is supposed to do. Do to the croup your body is starving for oxygen, in order for the cess to get the required fuel the body rushes more blood/respirations past them so they can have the optimum fuel.

Do you have some pharma grade o2 handy? Take a few hits and watch it slow down. If you fight your body the dis -ease will live longer, slow down and heal slower. Stay hydrated, out with the bad air in with the good. jmho

Well, then there is the sweat lodge?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 5th, 2014 at 2:47:52 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Lol, thanks for the replies.

On the diet, nothing unusual. As it happens, I hadn't eaten for two days prior. That's not unusual for me, especially this time of year. I've gone nearly 5 days before with no side effects outside of dropping a pound or two.

I'm aware fever does stuff, but I've never had this before. Usually sickness' main bother is the runny nose, crackly sinuses. After that, there's the delirium from the fever. And that's where it's always ended. If my heart rate rose because of it, it's always been unnoticeable.

But 30 extra beats per minute sustained over two days? It was nearly double my norm, and completely exhausting.

As it turns out, it just quit on its own late last night. Almost like a light switch, it just rolled out and went back to normal. I got up today and felt much better. I pushed it and did a bunch of yardwork, sucked down a bunch of Mt Dew, and here I sit with a soothing 54bpm.

Ahhhh. So much better =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 5th, 2014 at 3:05:39 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Glad to hear that things are back to normal Face!