A Sad Day

November 8th, 2014 at 6:14:40 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
A few days ago Tom Magliozzi passed away due to complications from Alzheimer's. Tom is widely known to be half of the epic radio duo "Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers", who hosted "Car Talk" on public radio. He also voiced one of the Junkers in Disney's "Cars".

"Car Talk" has been a favorite of mine for many years. It wasn't just entertaining, it was "must see (listen?)" programming. The humor, the banter, the knowledge, anyone could've enjoyed the show. Chock full of cheesy one liners, witty responses, and a double helping of car information, it was a joy to be in the car, any car, when their show aired.

I suggest everyone find a cast and give a listen. It really was one of the truly great programs in media.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 8th, 2014 at 7:53:54 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
A few days ago Tom Magliozzi passed away due to complications from Alzheimer's. Tom is widely known to be half of the epic radio duo "Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers", who hosted "Car Talk" on public radio. He also voiced one of the Junkers in Disney's "Cars".

"Car Talk" has been a favorite of mine for many years. It wasn't just entertaining, it was "must see (listen?)" programming. The humor, the banter, the knowledge, anyone could've enjoyed the show. Chock full of cheesy one liners, witty responses, and a double helping of car information, it was a joy to be in the car, any car, when their show aired.

I suggest everyone find a cast and give a listen. It really was one of the truly great programs in media.

My condolences Face.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 8th, 2014 at 8:21:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
It truly is sad, he was one of the greats. I loved their shows!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 9th, 2014 at 12:11:53 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Haven't heard them in 10 years, they always
were very informative.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 9th, 2014 at 5:46:52 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I used to listen to those guys years ago.
Great show.
They knew their stuff.
They were a riot. Just real fun to listen to.
An education on car problems with chuckles throughout.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 11th, 2014 at 11:25:47 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Wonderful limerick at the memorial by the daughter.

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/guest-bloggers/lydias-eulogy
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 12th, 2014 at 12:18:09 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: terapined
Wonderful limerick at the memorial by the daughter.

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/guest-bloggers/lydias-eulogy

A fitting tribute. So many memories in the comments as well. From Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe, to the Black Beauty, it's like reliving years of enjoyment.

I remember the day I introduced my g/f to the show. A 5hr car ride to salmon fishing, half of it a miserable thruway jaunt through the city, the other half a 30-40mph slog through suburbian hell. Had a blast listening despite the circumstances. And despite the tangible excitement upon arrival, we both just sat in the car for 45min so we could catch the whole show.

He will be missed.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.