survival, foraging, etc

Page 19 of 19« First<16171819
June 6th, 2024 at 3:51:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
one of the risks of foraging is coming across this, what the ... ?

https://www.micropia.nl/media/filer_public/fa/12/fa12607e-afb2-4b6f-be47-1c84309b2b7d/dead_mans_fingers.jpg

Dead Man's Fingers mushroom LOL. Not edible. You have to wonder if the image was enhanced for better effect. Here is probably a more typical scene if you come across them

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 11th, 2024 at 3:36:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 190
Probably of interest to you.

Quote:
Although most national parks ban commercial foraging, about three-fourths allow people to explore and collect their favorite crops for personal use. Individual parks set limits each year; some like Death Valley in California and Nevada restrict the collection of foods including nuts and berries to 1 quart a day, and only for personal consumption. Foraging is banned altogether in about a quarter of all national parks.

But things are changing in the woods, worrying those who for years have enjoyed the seasonal taste of food growing in the wild and foraging’s connection to centuries of dependence on natural habitats.

Foraging has grown so popular since the pandemic that state and federal agencies are weighing whether to impose additional restrictions.

Some leading foragers, for both personal and commercial food, say more public lands are being declared off limits, especially in places where wildfires have devastated the forest lands.

Their concern is based on the increasingly popular attraction to a striking ecological phenomenon: Charred landscapes and disturbed grounds provide ideal conditions for morels to flourish in plentiful numbers. That has attracted bigger and bigger crowds that swarm burned lands in the spring following a previous year’s big forest fire, and the foraging numbers have grown far too large to manage, officials say.

“Here in Oregon, they rarely closed burns before the pandemic,” said Trent Blizzard, president of the North American Mycological Association, who with his wife Kristen, runs The Modern Forager website. “But for the last three or four years, they have closed most of the fires, including all of the big ones.”

“We’re concerned about foraging access to all state and federal land, not just burns,” he said.

Decisions on where and when to close national forest land are made at a local level.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 12th, 2024 at 4:20:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
Probably of interest to you.
Nothing like that is going on in these parts

I wonder if the concern is overblown, but maybe if I saw it I'd understand better
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 21st, 2024 at 10:46:27 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 190
Hogweed is kind of fascinating.

Quote:
It breaks down your skin's ability to protect you from UV-light. If you touch the plant, cover it from the sun straight away to stop it from reacting."

You start getting blisters from the sun.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 19 of 19« First<16171819