Were Biden to die today...

Page 1 of 212>
June 13th, 2024 at 9:55:38 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 113
Assume that Joe died today of natural causes.

What would the Democrats do?

I ask because it seems quite clear that Kamala is about as popular as herpes.

Would the party seek someone other than her, and if so, who?
June 13th, 2024 at 10:09:38 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: missedhervee

Lots of options. Newsom, Whitmer, Warnock, etc.

The problem becomes a state by state issue of getting the “new” nominee’s name on the ballot in every state. They all have different deadlines for that kind of thing.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 13th, 2024 at 11:08:16 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 75

You personally may not like her but where does this herpes comparison come from?????? Breibart?
I'd vote for Harris over Trump
I think she is just as popular with the left as Trump is with the right
Harris maybe more popular then Biden with the left considering Bidens age
I personally would prefer a President Harris over a President Biden
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 13th, 2024 at 12:21:37 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 113
Quote: terapined
You personally may not like her but where does this herpes comparison come from?????? Breibart?I

No, I don't frequent right wing whacko sites: it come from the LA Times...in her home state!

https://www.latimes.com/projects/kamala-harris-approval-rating-polls-vs-biden-other-vps/

I used my own poetic license inserting the word "herpes:" seems apt given her disapproval ratings.

"As of April 23, 39% of registered voters had a favorable opinion of Harris and 55% had an unfavorable opinion,"

Also, see: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/approval/kamala-harris/

She's a black woman...double hex?

Joe put her in charge of the border problem...crickets...LOL
June 13th, 2024 at 1:33:13 PM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23

It doesn't matter how popular or hated the Vice President is. The Vice President is automatically in charge when the President dies. 💡
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
June 13th, 2024 at 1:43:25 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Riverjordan
It doesn't matter how popular or hated the Vice President is. The Vice President is automatically in charge when the President dies. 💡

You won’t find this kind of brilliant political analysis anywhere else, folks.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 13th, 2024 at 3:19:54 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Today would actually be not that terrible. If something happened to Biden or Trump, today, they can simply nominate somebody else at the convention later this summer based on the next most popular option (or whatever mechanism they have in place in the respective parties.) (Neither are the official candidate yet -yes effectively I know they are..... -)

Once the nominations are official and the ballots are actually finalized (but voting has not started yet,) it is much more of a gray area (nobody really knows what would happen.) And, we may find out, because this election more than any other there is a high probability that one or both candidates may be removed for one reason or another later in the year....

After the election, the VP-Elect will swear in as President on inauguration day if the President-elect dies before swearing in, this is well established. But, the biggest gray area is after nomination, but before election.
June 13th, 2024 at 7:35:08 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: Gandler
Today would actually be not that terrible. If something happened to Biden or Trump, today, they can simply nominate somebody else at the convention later this summer based on the next most popular option (or whatever mechanism they have in place in the respective parties.) (Neither are the official candidate yet -yes effectively I know they are..... -)

Once the nominations are official and the ballots are actually finalized (but voting has not started yet,) it is much more of a gray area (nobody really knows what would happen.) And, we may find out, because this election more than any other there is a high probability that one or both candidates may be removed for one reason or another later in the year....

After the election, the VP-Elect will swear in as President on inauguration day if the President-elect dies before swearing in, this is well established. But, the biggest gray area is after nomination, but before election.

The way it would work is this. Assuming Joe drops dead. The scenario could easily apply if Donny drops dead. But, let's assume Joe for now.

If Joe drops dead between now and the convention, the delegates will meet at the convention and choose their nominees for Prez and VP.

If Joe drops dead between the convention and election, the DNC (Democratic National Committee) will meet and choose a Prez nominee.

If Joe wins the election, but drops dead after the election and before the electors meets, the electors meet and would choose the Prez-elect and VP-elect. Depending on state law, they may be obligated to vote for Dead Joe, or not. But, me thinks most states would quickly pass a law freeing electors to vote for the VP-elect as Prez-elect. Or, they may even just leave it alone and cause pandemonium.

If Joe drops dead after the electors meet and before Inauguration, then the 20th Amendment Section 3 takes over. To wit: “If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President.” Which means the VP-elect gets inaugurated as Prez.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/what-happens-if-a-presidential-candidate-cannot-take-office-due-to-death-or-incapacitation-before-january-2025/
June 14th, 2024 at 5:13:45 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 33

The entities that are in control, control both sides.

Our hope has to come from an outsider supported by The People, that can see through the veil.

Almost all domestic news (and any public agency) is misdirection.
July 8th, 2024 at 12:41:24 PM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288
You won’t find this kind of brilliant political analysis anywhere else, folks.

According to Google, the Vice President is supposed to automatically be in charge when the President dies.
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
Page 1 of 212>