Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

July 9th, 2024 at 4:56:37 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 158
Quote: Tanko
Annual CO2 Emissions Changes Since 1988

World +67%

China +370%

India +476%

Europe -54%

USA unchanged, but down 20% from 2006 peak
so China and India will see that we're leading the way in the West and will come around. We should therefore push harder for being carbon neutral, like some people believe is possible, and disregard the effect on our economy
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 10th, 2024 at 3:47:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

World +67%

China +370%

India +476%

Europe -54%

So that is why the trees seem so much happier!
The President is a fink.
July 10th, 2024 at 8:01:35 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman

World +67%

China +370%

India +476%

Europe -54%

Are they happy we are cutting down more trees than we plant each year?
July 10th, 2024 at 8:32:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 75
Quote: odiousgambit

World +67%

China +370%

India +476%

Europe -54%

so China and India will see that we're leading the way in the West and will come around. We should therefore push harder for being carbon neutral, like some people believe is possible, and disregard the effect on our economy

Yes they will come around just as people in this country are coming around
Just as people all over the planet are coming around
Extreme weather in China and India kills way way more people then the same extreme weather in the west. Yes, even people in India and China are coming around. These people are not much different then you or me.
The reality is that India and China are some of the most climate-vulnerable countries on the planet
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 10th, 2024 at 8:40:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 193
China +370%

India +476%

USA under Trump +1000%
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 10th, 2024 at 11:51:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: GenoDRPh

World +67%

China +370%

India +476%

Europe -54%

Go ask one.
The President is a fink.
July 10th, 2024 at 12:45:14 PM permalink
GenoDRPh

World +67%

China +370%

India +476%

Europe -54%

Go ask one.

You first. Let me know what it tells you.
July 10th, 2024 at 1:16:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman

World +67%

China +370%

India +476%

Europe -54%

Go ask one.

You first. Let me know what it tells you.

It said it needs CO2 to function.
The President is a fink.
July 10th, 2024 at 1:40:24 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 158
Maybe this is a good time to explain how I got here as a consistent debunker of Climate Change in the political context.

I've been burned before.

I don’t consider myself a debunker of science per se, though others here do it seems. I’d actually be a good candidate for affirming what seems like good science. I do believe the politicisation is a problem.

I remember clearly buying into some of the earlier examples. I really had a low opinion of those who resisted the idea that we were going to run out of oil by the late 1980s, it really seemed like those people were examples of ignorance in action. Likewise, I listened eagerly to those who had solutions for the Energy Crisis of those days. But I took the step of investing accordingly; I was not alone in losing all my money doing that, some very smart people did the same thing. The money I lost was very dear, as I didn’t have a lot of money to blow in those days. Yet I was only following the science, it seemed like.

I now view view any of this stuff as having a fad element. The problems can be real, but the hype is generally not. Acid rain was a real thing, overhyped. Destruction of the ozone layer was a real thing, overhyped. That we hear little about these problems now is telling, and no I don’t think the minor things that have been done could possibly have made these things go away. We’ve largely just moved the problems overseas by removing industry from the US. The people who question the wisdom of these things are not crazy.

The Climate Change problem is real, I don’t see how the basic science can be denied when it has been shown that greenhouse gases are increasing. By studying isotopes, we know that the increase is from human activity, and I do think it is foolish to underestimate the potential of Man, as we used to say, to cause damage to the environment. The upcoming 10 billion human population of Earth, with increasing proportion heavily dependent on fossil fuels is worrisome. It should be studied and solutions should be explored.

What we don’t want to happen is finding out we are listening to a bunch of crackpots. I suspect strongly that what has happened already with this is a cautionary tale, with what happened in Sri Lanka truly chlling. European blunders have caused a backlash, and it all comes from listening to these crackpots telling us there is a crisis when we are not having one, but then creating crises with failed money wasting and frankly stupid ideas put into practice. The rapid transition to EV vehicles is about as dubious a plan as you’d ever want, and the backlash, I predict, will set it all back.

You have heard me say that we need in particular to be wary of what journalists report. The public relations departments of many organizations we would like to trust are also suspect, this includes in a no doubt larger list the UN, the World Bank, the CDC, and even NASA. I detect an eagerness to hype the idea we should panic … and a lot of conclusions I see are not those that the scientists involved came up with. Yes, I think this includes the recent news about the spread of Dengue fever. I am going to follow up to see if in fact it’s clear in future that the data, which is real as far as I could ever prove, is being presented in a way that the scientific reports, which take more time, do not support. Stay tuned.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 10th, 2024 at 1:46:27 PM permalink
Tanko

The US has more trees today than it did 100 years ago. For the past ninety years, forest growth has exceeded harvest.

'By 1998, tree growth exceeded harvest by 43% and the forest cover was 380% more than it had been in the 1920s.'

'Earth has more trees now than 35 years ago'