Title

Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »
October 24th, 2012 at 9:07:53 AM permalink
WongBo
Threads: 1
Well, that's why I was the first to say something.
Nothing to do with pleasing everyone.

Let's keep this forum to people who either have experience with homosexuality
or can admit their curiosity about it.
That should cover just about everyone.
Lol
October 24th, 2012 at 9:27:30 AM permalink
Croupier
Threads: 0
I find nothing personally offensive about it, but can see why people might not like it.

I did find the comedy speaking to me having a forum called Diversity Tomorrow with possible offensive titles.
October 24th, 2012 at 9:32:15 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: JB
Another reason we went with this title is because a large gay community in Las Vegas happily and voluntarily refers to itself as the Fruit Loop.
It's one thing for people to use certain terms to talk about themselves. It's quite another for outsiders to use it.

But, again, I don't think it's bad.

On the other hand, black people will use the N word without hesitation, but if a white person uses it, look out!
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
October 24th, 2012 at 9:41:17 AM permalink
Bigfoot66
Quote: WongBo
I know you aren't trying to offend, but the "controversy" about homosexuality,
Present in every known culture in every era, geography, and ethnicity,
Is just getting a little old for some of us.
;)

The whole controversy is getting a little old for a lot of 'us' too. Did you see the whole flap about the how the new 'Latina' Disney princess is not Latina enough and the Latino groups like La Raza are making a whole big deal about it? Gimme a break.

Not saying that any one complaint is necessarily unjustified: If you are offended then you are offended and that's legit. But when taken together, we end up spending a LOT more time on minority issues than I am interested in.
October 24th, 2012 at 9:45:29 AM permalink
Bigfoot66
Quote: WongBo
A lot of gay people have tried to reclaim and defuse the words that have been used against them.
They have also been used by people who seek to subjugate them into second class status.
Until that status is recognized as the unAmerican class segregation it is, there will be serious people who don't stand for

And I happen to think this is a very successful strategy. Compare the history of the term 'Queer' which used to be a very deragotory term...Now there are departments of Queer Studies in universities, because the homosexuals successfully reclaimed this term. I personally think that black people would be wise to do the same thing with 'N'. Instead they make it so off limits that I can't even use the word here so that you know what I am talking about, and now the sting associated with the word is that much stronger.
October 24th, 2012 at 9:46:41 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
For what it is worth, I was not sure if "fruit loop" was going too far or not. As was mentioned, there is a gay section in Vegas that is affectionately referred to as the "fruit loop" by that community. I also asked JB's opinion about it, and he thought it was okay. Then again, I also understand that the same word can be both affectionate or offensive, depending on who is saying it. As an outsider, I realize that I am not given the benefit of the doubt that I meant it in a friendly way.

So, I'm opening it up to suggestions for something to replace it with. Hopefully something humorous.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 24th, 2012 at 10:10:01 AM permalink
Bootless100
Threads: 0
Leave it as it is. Clear cincise and to the point.
October 24th, 2012 at 10:21:53 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
I was kinda taken aback by it. Now that I see it's the name of an area in Vegas I get where it comes from, but considering the objections from those who are most likely to use it, it might be best to retitle it.

Since we use the Statler and Waldorf standards, what about The Rainbow Connection?
This space for rent
October 24th, 2012 at 11:29:26 AM permalink
deadrats18
Threads: 2
How about Never Never Land ?

It is the dwelling place of Peter Pan, Tinker Bell, the Lost Boys, and others.
October 24th, 2012 at 11:41:35 AM permalink
RedNeckerson
Threads: 5
Quote: deadrats18
How about Never Never Land ?

It is the dwelling place of Peter Pan, Tinker Bell, the Lost Boys, and others.

And of course, Michael Jackson.
Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »