War in HD

Page 3 of 3<123
February 12th, 2015 at 10:49:29 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Fleastiff
There was surely an international economy in WW2, but turning off Japan's supply of scrap metal to force Japan to attack the US, was simply a tool to end the German oppression of the Jews.

Hitler made one of his many mistakes when he declared war on the US, post Pearl Harbour. It led to a Europe first strategy for the Allies. I wonder how many weeks it would have taken for the US to declare war on Germany without any direct aggression from the Axis?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 12th, 2015 at 1:24:33 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Fleastiff
One historian claimed that wars always had to be fought a generation apart because those who went thru hell once would refuse to do it again. His theory was a bit foolish but it does emphasize that the carnage is not what is expected. The Australians slaughtered at Gallipoli, the marines at every un-named atoll, (it took awhile for MacArthur to think of skipping a few islands now and then), the battle virgins at D-Day are all the big events, but war is usually made up of endless little battles.

Many artillery barrages kill friendly troops, one mobile artillery unit received firing orders in a 270 degree arc, I'm sure you remember the Nisei "Mo Bettah" Regimental Rifle Team that was sent in to rescue the Texas Lost Battalion. Or consider perhaps the bandleader killed when his pilot flew through an unmarked Ordnance Disposal area. Mistakes get made, officers give orders for their glory, not the privates benefit.

Everyone knew Japan was committed to its war in Manchuria and needed Dutch Oil and US scrap steel. So FDR and his Harvard Advisers came up with a plan to cut off sales of scrap steel, thus getting a major incident started by Japan as an excuse for entering the European War FDR so desperately wanted to get America into.

But it all comes down to things like the sailor at Pearl Harbor who was going to be the Best Man at his close friend's wedding on December 14th but on December 7th had to slam the hatch shut and dog it down just when his friend was about to reach it. You have to save the ship, rather than shipmates.

My Grandfather was a deadeye hunter on the Canadian prairies. They sent him into WWI as a sniper with the Royal Forces. When he came back, he never hunted again with a rifle (he did do some trapping of beaver and bear). He became a loner, an explorer and surveyor above the Arctic Circle for the Hudson's Bay Company. I knew him as a gentle but exceedingly reserved man, almost never saw him laugh.

My ex-husband was a great shot and a good hunter from North Carolina. He killed a couple hundred people in Vietnam just in one night, unknown numbers of others during his tour. He never hunted again. He still has constant nightmares and has become obsessed with 20th century military history and guns.

I think that guy's theory had something to it.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 12th, 2015 at 2:07:40 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
Hitler made one of his many mistakes when he declared war on the US, post Pearl Harbour. It led to a Europe first strategy for the Allies. I wonder how many weeks it would have taken for the US to declare war on Germany without any direct aggression from the Axis?

I wonder if anything would have changed. Roosevelt favored the Europe first strategy.

It seems counterintuitive, and in a way it is. Germany posed no immediate threat, while Japan did. Oh, Japan lacked the capability to seriously hurt America, but it might have taken some territories like Hawaii. Long term, though, Germany was the bigger threat. Imagine a victorious Germany with nuclear weapons and a Nazi ideology in the late 40s.

I think there's an alternate history novel with that in the plot.

But we'll never know whether Roosevelt would have declared war on the whole Axis or not. So, yes, in essence it was one of hitler's many mistakes. The first being not getting himself killed in WWI.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 12th, 2015 at 3:23:32 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
An invasion of Hawaii was beyond Japan's capabilities, and plans. At least immediately. They wanted to protect their interests in the Western Pacific, and be able to run their domain without any American influence. Taking out Hawaii as a port and the Pacific Fleet was their aim.

After Midway, they had little chance of extending naval power that far east again, though plenty of power once you got into the islands.... still a dangerous foe, just not a threat.

Of course, the Japanese did invade the US, landing in the Western Aleutians and hanging around their for a year.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
Page 3 of 3<123