Video Games

Page 3 of 17<123456>Last »
March 5th, 2015 at 10:21:12 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
I also had Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which was a Zork-like game, and that was a hoot.

I once had a collection of lots of Infocom games, including Zork and the Hitchhiker's Guide, complete with hint books. I wonder what happened to it. I don't think the box with the floppies survived my last move...

Those games were fun, but exceedingly frustrating as well. Cheat books and all, I never finished Zork.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 5th, 2015 at 11:04:26 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
Chinese gamer plays WoW for 19 hrs straight, becomes pale, blood from mouth and dies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/11449055/Chinese-gamer-dies-after-playing-World-of-Warcraft-for-19-hours.html

what killed him?

Who knows? Extended lack of sleep is murder on the body. It generally puts a lot of stress on the heart and whatnot, although his age wouldn't leave you to believe it would be that. I've heard of those crazy South Koreans dying after 30 straight hours of Starcraft before, but dunno why. I once tried to beat Final Fantasy VII in one sitting, but died (in game, obv) in hour 29. I felt fine, if a little tired.

I spent countless hours on Microsoft's (and SubLogic, and before that various) Flight Simulator. I was even a part of a few Virtual Airlines. Yes, there is no shooting things. The first virtual airline I was invoved with had a very thorough training program, written by a guy who made a career of being a flight instructor.

I've read about those. Apparently guys can join airlines and make "hauls" for cash, eventually purchasing more aircraft or even entire airports, creating an entire virtual business. I've never got into it personally as when I was flying FSX, I didn't really have a good PC. I mostly spent my time flying a bush plane in the Rockies, as I enjoyed the difficulty of tiny runways with no room for error.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 5th, 2015 at 11:28:57 AM permalink
Face
Quote: TheCesspit

I also play a few war-sims (Unity of Command is my current favourite) or empire builders (Civilization). Though I love Civ, I find the scenarios far more engaging than the 'small tribe to space faring race' game.

Oh my. So much time on these. I just got into Civ last year or so, playing Civ V. Some of those games took over a month to beat, as I would play with decent difficulty, 24 Civs, and 40+ city states on the largest board. Mid game is the best when you have to actually think whether to upgrade or churn units, as you never know when the damnable Chinese are going to double cross you ;)

But I got into Civ to fill the hole left by the ending of Age of Empires, and that will always be the daddy for me. My best friend and I still play it to this day, usually getting in at least 6 games over two days per week. And every time we log on, there's always still 1,000 people playing on the server. Not bad for a game that came out 10 years ago. The LAN parties we used to have! The battles, the retreats, the comebacks... such good fun. Even before we had internet, back in AoE II, we were setting up landline connections and having our computers "call" each other, just so we could play. I remember each of us having to grab all the phones in the house and hide them so the ringing at 2a wouldn't wake up our parents XD

Such good times =)
March 5th, 2015 at 11:34:02 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
AoE was fun for a while, but Real Time games are not for me, I don't have the mind for it. Or I don't find them as fun. Maybe I don't have myself 'set up' right for them. Maybe I should try them again.

CiV V is epic, but I do sometimes go back to IV. I liked the expansion packs more in IV.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 5th, 2015 at 11:52:07 AM permalink
Face
AoE was fun for a while, but Real Time games are not for me, I don't have the mind for it. Or I don't find them as fun. Maybe I don't have myself 'set up' right for them. Maybe I should try them again.

Oh yes, it's a totally different experience. You do have to "set yourself up" for it.

I get what you're saying, as I do like turn-based games as well. JRPG's, for instance, have to be a Final Fantasy / Secret of Mana type turn based game. It's more... it's a deeper mental experience. It's sort of like chess, in that you have to plan far in advance and know what your next move is going to result in 4-5-6 turns down the road. I totally dig that, as opposed to other RPG's where you just have to hack and slash faster than your opponent. I'd say I like turn based more overall.

But there is something about the scramble of real time in AoE that gets us going. Because the computer can decide instantly and act instantly, whereas you, even with key commands, can only do one thing at a time, and each thing takes a moment to command. It creates a welcome scramble as you try to hammer out units while commanding the units you have to defend while creating more villagers while having the villagers you already own build a wall... it's a mental overload, which means you have to use 100% of your mental ability, and that creates complete escapism. And I dunno about you, but that's why I play =)
March 5th, 2015 at 1:00:19 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I prefer the turn based to the real time strategy, because I too have problems thinking that fast. Before Age of Empires, I played Warcraft. 2? maybe. Before they had heros, and the first game with heros. Maybe that was 3.

I've played Civ 2-5, but not in a long time. I really liked SimCity 4. Simcity 5 was quite disappointing. They finally patched it so you can play offline. You still don't have as much control over things, it seems, like you did in Simcity 4.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 5th, 2015 at 1:39:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
I once tried to beat Final Fantasy VII in one sitting, but died (in game, obv) in hour 29. I felt fine, if a little tired.

The worse I ever did was play Roller Coaster Tycoon far longer than I intended. At around 11 pm on a Friday I thought "Just until I finish this level." When I did, and it must have been around 12:30 am, I thought "I'll just see what the next level's like." Next thing I know it's 5 am and I'm still playing. I had to pick that time to build underground rides...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 5th, 2015 at 2:28:46 PM permalink
TheCesspit
I prefer the turn based to the real time strategy, because I too have problems thinking that fast. Before Age of Empires, I played Warcraft. 2? maybe. Before they had heros, and the first game with heros. Maybe that was 3.

I've played Civ 2-5, but not in a long time. I really liked SimCity 4. Simcity 5 was quite disappointing. They finally patched it so you can play offline. You still don't have as much control over things, it seems, like you did in Simcity 4.

I played the original warcraft. Enjoyed it well enough, as did I enjoy the start of AoE. It just was a long time ago, and my twitch reflexes are no longer there either. I'm kinda tempted this weekend to maybe go back and try again though.

I really like turn based or at least pausable games (Total War) much more. Unity of Command has been a huge and highly interesting challenge.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 6th, 2015 at 3:21:31 PM permalink
TheCesspit
I played the original warcraft. Enjoyed it well enough, as did I enjoy the start of AoE. It just was a long time ago, and my twitch reflexes are no longer there either. I'm kinda tempted this weekend to maybe go back and try again though.

Ha! Humble Bundle has AoE 2 and 3 on sale this weekend... co-incidence?
March 6th, 2015 at 4:46:58 PM permalink
Face

Ah yes. I think it was the original Warcraft that turned me on to RTS games.

Quote: Dalex

Oh good god. You're gonna send me off on one of my famous rants. Luckily for all, I'm on my phone and can't get going =p

But EA %@$!s up everything they touch. I've loved Simcity since the SNES days. Played it tons. Then with PC? Oh, the options available! SC2000, SC 4, it was so much fun.

Then EA. What a rip. Shame, too, because there were a lot of new features in game that were interesting. But between the severely restricted cities and the always online necessity, I raged hard and for a long time. I vow to never buy an EA game ever again
Page 3 of 17<123456>Last »