Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

November 19th, 2015 at 6:43:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I found the first animated Batman movie "Mask of the Phantasm" on Netflix.

I hope I have time to watch it Saturday.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 19th, 2015 at 8:06:04 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I am back on Netflix
I cut the cable cord
I felt uncomfortable watching Netflix while paying over a 100 a month for cable
Now I have no cable
more comfortable binge watching Netflix now :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 19th, 2015 at 12:04:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Up to episode 4 of The Roosevelts, loving every minute of it. I've learned so much, and I already knew a lot to begin with.

Claes Maartenszen van Rosenvelt, the immigrant ancestor of the Roosevelt family, arrived in Nieuw Amsterdam (present day New York City) some time between 1638 and 1649. Around the year 1652, he bought a farm from Lambert van Valckenburgh comprising 48 acres in what is now Midtown Manhattan, including the present site of the Empire State Building.

Population in New York State between 1640 and 1650 was believed to grow from 1,930 to 4,116.

Claes' son Nicholas was the first to use the spelling Roosevelt and the first to hold political office, as an alderman. His children Johannes and Jacobus were, respectively, the progenitors of the Oyster Bay and Hyde Park branches of the family that emerged in the 18th century. By the late 19th century, the Hyde Park Roosevelts were generally associated with the Democratic Party and the Oyster Bay Roosevelts with the Republican Party. President Theodore Roosevelt, an Oyster Bay Roosevelt, was President Franklin Roosevelt's fifth cousin. Despite political differences that led family members to actively campaign against each other, the two branches generally remained friendly. James Roosevelt met his wife at a Roosevelt family gathering in the home of Theodore's mother, and James' son Franklin married Theodore's niece Eleanor.

The Roosevelt Family is generally associated with the state of New York. Harvard University educations have been common among many members of the Roosevelt Family.

I wish my ancestors who came in 1750 had bought land in midtown Manhattan instead of Western PA. Pennsylvania was over 100K by that point, but my ancestors wanted to go back to the woods.

The Siege of Fort Pitt took place in 1763 in what is now the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. The siege was a part of Pontiac's Rebellion, an effort by American Indians to drive the British out of the Ohio Country and back across the Appalachian Mountains. My ancestors went to Western PA within 20 years of the seige.
November 19th, 2015 at 4:05:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
My ancestors went to Western PA within 20 years of the seige.

I've traced mine back to Philly in
the late 1700's. Then W VA in
the 1830's. I have a grandfather
that fought in the Civil War, I
have 3 letters from him.

Mostly Germans and English and
Irish in the tree.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 23rd, 2015 at 11:17:50 AM permalink
terapined
The Wolfpack
Documentary , 1 family, 6 brothers.
They grow up in NYC apartment rarely going outside.
Essentially prisoners in an apartment
Father keeps the front door locked throughout their young lives
No internet.
They're only outlet, watching DVD's of movies.
They act out these movies with home made props and costumes.
Fascinating documentary.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 23rd, 2015 at 11:33:52 AM permalink
terapined
The Gunman
Good action scenes but dumb overall plot
2 bad guys fall in love with a girl
1 bad guy directs another bad guy(Sean Penn) to kill somebody
Sean Penn does the bad deed so he has to leave the country, leaving girl with other bad guy.
Also Sean keeps a diary of all the bad stuff.

Bad guys come after Sean because of diary and Sean goes back to girl he left behind
November 23rd, 2015 at 2:31:11 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
w/ Bob and David - Netflix original sketch show.

Stars David Cross from Arrested Development and Bob Odenkirk aka Saul Goodman. This show is not very funny... trying to do a psuedo-Python style sketch show, with a daft cut overs and silly themes, they've failed to have any real comedy. Ideas are thrown up on screen, and then if they stick at all, run until well beyond dead. One section, lambasting a barely known digital media guru 'shingy' lasted for well beyond the 60 seconds it needed to be funny and kept going and going and going and going into the absurdly unfunny. Maybe they were trying to get funny-by-grotesque (see: league of gentleman and the mighty boosh in the UK) but they failed miserably there too.

Good actors with bad scripts. The scripts came from the actors themselves, which just proves something.

(Ah, I see they did Mr Show back 17 years ago together. I guess that might have been better?)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 1st, 2015 at 11:00:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Just finished the last of The Roosevelts. An
astounding series. We have photographs
and movies from the entire careers of
both men, some never seen before. If
you're a fan of history, this is a must see.
5 stars doesn't even cover it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 4th, 2015 at 9:09:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
I'll watch this next week just for the
hugely talented cast.

http://www.netflix.com/watch/80083980?trackId=13462260&tctx=0%2C0%2C32d1b781-aaaf-4722-a099-eb252822bbfc-71145413
December 5th, 2015 at 10:52:41 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Just watched a Very Murray Christmas. A rip on the idea of a Christmas special... but still a Christmas special, with Bill Murray's own hang dog style.

Loved it. It was stupid and silly and self absorbed. But somehow utterly charming.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life