Ascending Mount Hood

Page 6 of 6« First<3456
August 11th, 2017 at 1:53:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
There is something about putting yourself to the test and seeing what you can do .

Also something to be said to knowing
your limitations and avoiding what you
know you can't do or would be bored
with.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 11th, 2017 at 3:23:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Also something to be said to knowing
your limitations and avoiding what you
know you can't do or would be bored
with.

Agreed. That is why walking the Camino de Santiago has dropped off my bucket list, as I've head it is pretty boring. Nothing really dangerous is on my list either. Otherwise, I'd be doing stuff like the Matterhorn and Mount Cook (New Zealand)
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 11th, 2017 at 5:54:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Nothing really dangerous is on my list either.

Well, not super safe either. These are the last 10 deaths on Mount Hood

Mar 17 2017 Steve Leavitt 57 Mt. Hood Meadows skiing Leavitt died after hitting a tree in the lower Heather Canyon. He was wearing a helmet but was buried in deep snow that later became compacted by the rain. Leavitt was missing for eight days before his body was recovered.

May 17 2017 John Thornton Jenkins 32 Hogsback climbing Fall

Jun 17 2015 Ward Milo Maxfield 66 Hogsback climbing Maxfield was leading his 17-year-old grandson and two others at the 10,500-foot level on the Hogsback route, when he fell about 400 feet to the Hot Rocks area.

May 17 2014 Robert J. Cormier 57 Eliot Glacier climbing Fell through ice an ice cornice on the north side of the mountain.

Dec 17 2014 Brian E. Fletcher 37 Mt. Hood Skibowl skiing Flecther was skiing down the Middle Reynolds Trail toward Low Road when he caught an edge and fell, landing on his head and chest.

Mar 17 2013 Russell Tiffany 23 Mt. Hood Skibowl skiing Search and rescue crews found Tiffany body in a creek in an out-of-bounds ski area just west of Ski Bowl a few hundred feet from Highway 26. Tiffany had been drinking and got lost after skiing off on his own.

Apr 17 2013 Josef Desch 51 Mt. Hood Meadows skiing Died after skiing into a tree on the Arena run at Mount Hood Meadows Ski Resort. Desch was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Jun 17 2013 Kinley Adams 59 Sandy Glacier climbing Adams failed to return June 22 from a solo climb. After a long week of looking, search and rescue crews recovered his body on June 30. Adams was found at approximately 8,400 feet, at the top of Sandy Glacier near the Hood River County line.

Aug 17 2013 Sebastian Kinasiewicz 32 null climbing Kinasiewicz fell 2,000 feet from near the summit into a couloir called Climbers Left Chute on the north face of the mountain. His body was found at the 9,100-foot level.

Aug 17 2013 Collin R. Backowski 25 White River Glacier snowboarding Killed when an ice tunnel, at an elevation of about 8,100 feet, collapsed.
August 11th, 2017 at 9:37:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Jun 17 2015 Ward Milo Maxfield 66 Hogsback climbing Maxfield was leading his 17-year-old grandson and two others at the 10,500-foot level on the Hogsback route, when he fell about 400 feet to the Hot Rocks area.

That one gives me goosebumps.

I think you know that was the day I did Hood. When I was descending from the summit back to the Hot Rocks I saw the body Milo covered in an orange tarp. His grandson was beside himself in grief. I gave him a hug and said "I'm sorry, brother." There was another person with their group. I overheard him calling Milo's wife to give her the sad news.

Still, nobody knows why he fell. I didn't see it but many in my group did. They said he didn't try to self-arrest, which probably would have saved his life. It was speculated at the time he had a heart attack but I would read later the autopsy denied it. Who knows? I went up the same steep icy area he did. You had to stay engaged to the ice or you could die.

I don't know.

Last Sunday I saw my fifth dead body. Milo was the second. The only one to die of an accidental nature.

Not sure what my point is. I just can't read that name and not say something.
August 11th, 2017 at 10:41:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Last Sunday I saw my fifth dead body. .

How is it that most of us have never seen even one
outside of a funeral service and you've seen five.
That's a little odd..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 12th, 2017 at 8:21:46 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
How is it that most of us have never seen even one
outside of a funeral service and you've seen five.
That's a little odd..

I'm not even counting those I've seen in funeral services.

Two of them are my father and father in law. I respect both of them for wanting to die at home rather than a hospital.

The dead woman at the LV Hilton (now Westgate) was just a fluke.

The other two I would file under just getting outdoors more often.
October 14th, 2022 at 2:31:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The other two I would file under just getting outdoors more often.

You may want to watch Aftershock on Netflix, a 3 episode documentay about the April 2015 Earthquake in Nepal and the effect on the Everest climbiers. The Spring climbing season begins in March.
Page 6 of 6« First<3456