States' Rights

Page 5 of 5« First<2345
June 24th, 2015 at 3:28:30 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
So again, reasonable choices. Localized bans do not concern me.

The thin edge of the wedge.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 24th, 2015 at 3:42:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
The thin edge of the wedge.

If you want things just so, somebody else always has a different version of "just so."

You can always write a story about the way things should be.

: )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 24th, 2015 at 4:43:06 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
In Alaska and I know some place here in the states, there are "dry" villages.

History tells of entire villages that starved to death because of Vitus Bering or Captain Cook trading barrels of rum for seal hides. The men got drunk and would not hunt, and entire villages were wiped out forever.

In the villages outside Anchorage or Fairbanks the town elders have put in either "dry" or damp policy's and except for the young, it has worked pretty well. When they choose they can hop a flight into town and stay drunk until they freeze to death sleeping in a snow bank and the snow thrower grinds them up and spits them out.

It is so sad, the kids will "huff" anything that washes up on the beach with or without a label.

I had a friend who wanted to smuggle whiskey into the villages as pints would go for big money. I said for Christ's sake man, just sell cocaine in Anchorage, you will do less harm. I didn't support him at all, I hope he didn't do it?

I support local rule, you want something different go do it, but the local elders decided that locally, alcohol kills, and it is difficult to stop once it gets started.

My .02.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 24th, 2015 at 5:24:44 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: petroglyph
I support local rule, you want something different go do it, but the local elders decided that locally, alcohol kills, and it is difficult to stop once it gets started.

Imagine about 15% of a town's inhabitants are allergic to peanuts.

Ok? Peanut allergies are very serious. They vary, but not very much. People can get very ill, even die, from peanut dust and shells.

In such a case I wouldn't oppose a ban on peanuts.
June 24th, 2015 at 5:25:12 PM permalink
Nareed
You can always write a story about the way things should be.

What other kind of story would I write??
June 24th, 2015 at 5:34:50 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
Imagine about 15% of a town's inhabitants are allergic to peanuts.

Ok? Peanut allergies are very serious. They vary, but not very much. People can get very ill, even die, from peanut dust and shells.

In such a case I wouldn't oppose a ban on peanuts.

Yeah but, peanuts aren't nuts.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 24th, 2015 at 9:38:12 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I will agree with Face (I think) it is a PITA to feel trapped in an area that shares too few of your values of freedom.

But I'm not sure if that is really the same definition of lack of freedoms shared in areas where you may be arrested or killed trying to go to places of more freedom in the world.

It's easy to sort of justify things by comparing to the rest of the world. Gays can complain about cakes, but at least they're not in Saudi Arabia. Simply being denied a cake is better than being stoned to death in the town square.

But we're USA#1, right? What part of our birth and history was made with the mindset "That's good enough"? We're [supposed to be a shining beacon, not a pile of grey compromise.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 24th, 2015 at 10:44:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Face
It's easy to sort of justify things by comparing to the rest of the world. Gays can complain about cakes, but at least they're not in Saudi Arabia. Simply being denied a cake is better than being stoned to death in the town square.

But we're USA#1, right? What part of our birth and history was made with the mindset "That's good enough"? We're [supposed to be a shining beacon, not a pile of grey compromise.

Okay, okay, you win a flag pole and a American beer!

man, you just need to move to Montana, Wyoming (or something) and stop harshing down on my grey compromise!
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 5 of 5« First<2345