Religious mysteries

Page 1 of 212>
July 6th, 2015 at 7:49:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Trying to make sense of Egypt's religion is an exercise in frustration, because over its 3,000 year history Egypt changed how it viewed this or that god. The villain Seth (or Set) in the Founding Myth of Ist (or Isis) and Ueser (or User or Osiris), is a god worshipped and honored in latter times, included in the names of Pharaohs like Seti I and Seti II.

But other religions claim stability and to be unchanged. So let's ask:

1) Is Jehovah a serial mass murderer? In a short interval, he killed Egyptian civilians (today we'd call them collateral damage) with his ten plagues through pests and drought, then outright slaughtered all first-born sons of Egypt, 99.9999999999% of whom had nothing to do with Moses' fight. Later on he killed a bunch of his own errant followers for worshipping a golden calf. And let's not forget at another time he drowned every man, woman, child and animal on the planet, save for Noah's horde.

2) When Jehovah impregnated Mary, was that rape or merely adultery?

3) If Jehovah/Jesus/Holy Spirit are one god, does this means Jesus raped or committed adultery with his own mother, and then was content to issue from her? Yuck!

4) Is Jehovah a sadist as well? In the Exodus fable he tells Moses Pharaoh will refuse to let the Hebrews go. But further Jehovah tells Moses he will harden Pharaohs heart. Was he trying to make things more difficult for his human instrument just so he could torture Egypt for a long time? How about keeping his "chosen" people in bondage longer?

More questions as I think of them.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 6th, 2015 at 10:21:10 AM permalink
Nareed
BTW, it's questions like this why I agree with the oft-repeated atheist meme "I don't need to read the Bible. I'm already an atheist."

More questions:

5) Which gods does Jehovah fear will steal his chosen people? The first commandment carries an injunction against having other gods. So which were these gods? Ra (Re)? Amon? Mantu? Ist? Ueser? Set? Aton? The Egyptian king? I'm favoring Egyptian deities, because the Exodus fiction is set there. We know Jehovah murdered people for worshipping a calf. The only god I can think of remotely related is Hathor.
July 7th, 2015 at 10:23:06 AM permalink
Nareed
6) If we're all "broken" and need to be "fixed" by Jehovah/Jesus via "accepting" (whatever that means) the Jesus part of the deity as a "personal savior" (whatever the hell that is), but Jehovah/Jesus/Holy Ghost purposefully made us "broken," then how is this not a con on the part of the deity?
July 7th, 2015 at 11:55:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
6) If we're all "broken" and need to be "fixed" by Jehovah/Jesus via "accepting" (whatever that means) the Jesus part of the deity as a "personal savior" (whatever the hell that is), but Jehovah/Jesus/Holy Ghost purposefully made us "broken," then how is this not a con on the part of the deity?

There is no deity, it's a con on the part
of the Church. It makes sense to them
because they want it to. You can talk
yourself into almost anything, no matter
how bizarre.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 7th, 2015 at 12:26:13 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
... the Exodus fiction is set there. We know Jehovah murdered people for worshipping a calf...

I'm confused.

Why would you call the Exodus fiction, but a closely related event like the Golden Calf you accept as truth?

You can't have it both ways.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
July 9th, 2015 at 6:48:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Not so much about religion but about believers:

7) What makes you think you can sway an atheist, who believes in no gods whatsoever and buys none of your mythology, by proclaiming that "God said so." You may as well try to prove Atlantis exists because Aquaman said so. On a related note, why do you think threatening an atheist with hell will have any effect? You may as well threaten me with the Wicked Witches of Oz.
July 9th, 2015 at 12:35:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

7) What makes you think you can sway an atheist, who believes in no gods whatsoever and buys none of your mythology, by proclaiming that "God said so."

I still don't 'get' god. There's so many modern
ones, forget the old ones. The Mormon god
is different from the Muslim god is different
from the Catholic god is different from the
Jewish god. There's either a bunch of gods,
obviously, or none. Till it's proven to me
otherwise, I'm going with none.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2015 at 6:55:06 AM permalink
Nareed
8) Why would an omniscient being need to have doors marked for him? Doesn't he know already whom he needs to pass over during his murderous rampage of innocent Egyptian boys? Did he need his chosen people to partake of his atrocities? That's a standard indoctrination tactic in totalitarian organizations, though often the involvement is more direct.
July 23rd, 2015 at 7:37:36 AM permalink
Nareed
Assuming any of this is real:

9) How do you know the god(s) Jehovah/Jesus/etc is not a manifestation of some other deity?
August 19th, 2015 at 4:32:24 PM permalink
Nareed
10) Do Christians believe they are being Christ-like when they punish people they dislike?
Page 1 of 212>