Great quotations

Page 9 of 12« First<6789101112>
November 23rd, 2021 at 3:05:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
"A guest and a fish start reeking on the third day."

"A bad partner is worse than rain - the latter makes you go home - while the former makes you go outside."

-Jewish proverbs and sayings.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 24th, 2021 at 4:27:39 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
G.W. Bush Quotes

"For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three nonfatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it." —Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 14, 2001

"I couldn't imagine somebody like Osama bin Laden understanding the joy of Hanukkah." —at a White House menorah lighting ceremony, Washington, D.C., December 10, 2001

"Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties." —discussing the Iraq war with Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson in 2003, as quoted by Robertson

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., August 5, 2004
December 12th, 2021 at 1:23:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman
Do you really need a sign to live, laugh, and love?

Live, Laugh, Love
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 12th, 2021 at 7:35:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Christopher Eric Hitchens (13 April 1949 – 15 December 2011) was a British-American author, journalist, orator and columnist. He wrote, co-wrote, edited or co-edited over 30 books, including five of essays on culture, politics and literature.

Quote: Christopher Hitchens, Love, Poverty, and War: Journeys and Essays
Nobody knows how many North Koreans have died or are dying in the famine—some estimates by foreign-aid groups run as high as three million in the period from 1995 to 1998 alone—but the rotund, jowly face of Kim Il Sung still beams down contentedly from every wall, and the 58-year-old son looks as chubby as ever, even as his slenderized subjects are mustered to applaud him.”
The fervor and single-mindedness of this deification probably have no precedent in history. It's not like Duvalier or Assad passing the torch to the son and heir. It surpasses anything I have read about the Roman or Babylonian or even Pharaonic excesses. An estimated $2.68 billion was spent on ceremonies and monuments in the aftermath of Kim Il Sung's death. The concept is not that his son is his successor, but that his son is his reincarnation. North Korea has an equivalent of Mount Fuji—a mountain sacred to all Koreans. It's called Mount Paekdu, a beautiful peak with a deep blue lake, on the Chinese border. Here, according to the new mythology, Kim Jong Il was born on February 16, 1942. His birth was attended by a double rainbow and by songs of praise (in human voice) uttered by the local birds. In fact, in February 1942 his father and mother were hiding under Stalin's protection in the dank Russian city of Khabarovsk, but as with all miraculous births it's considered best not to allow the facts to get in the way of a good story.
Quote: Hyeonseo Lee
Leaving North Korea is not like leaving any other country. It is more like leaving another universe. I will never truly be free of its gravity, no matter how far I journey.
December 13th, 2021 at 6:33:17 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
It isn't ideology that the Communist or Marxist-Leninist is hooked on ... it's the stranglehold on power that it gives
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 13th, 2021 at 7:04:49 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Pacomartin
Christopher Eric Hitchens (13 April 1949 – 15 December 2011) was a British-American author, journalist, orator and columnist. He wrote, co-wrote, edited or co-edited over 30 books, including five of essays on culture, politics and literature.

Nobody knows how many North Koreans have died or are dying in the famine—some estimates by foreign-aid groups run as high as three million in the period from 1995 to 1998 alone—but the rotund, jowly face of Kim Il Sung still beams down contentedly from every wall, and the 58-year-old son looks as chubby as ever, even as his slenderized subjects are mustered to applaud him.”
The fervor and single-mindedness of this deification probably have no precedent in history. It's not like Duvalier or Assad passing the torch to the son and heir. It surpasses anything I have read about the Roman or Babylonian or even Pharaonic excesses. An estimated $2.68 billion was spent on ceremonies and monuments in the aftermath of Kim Il Sung's death. The concept is not that his son is his successor, but that his son is his reincarnation. North Korea has an equivalent of Mount Fuji—a mountain sacred to all Koreans. It's called Mount Paekdu, a beautiful peak with a deep blue lake, on the Chinese border. Here, according to the new mythology, Kim Jong Il was born on February 16, 1942. His birth was attended by a double rainbow and by songs of praise (in human voice) uttered by the local birds. In fact, in February 1942 his father and mother were hiding under Stalin's protection in the dank Russian city of Khabarovsk, but as with all miraculous births it's considered best not to allow the facts to get in the way of a good story.
Quote: Hyeonseo Lee
Leaving North Korea is not like leaving any other country. It is more like leaving another universe. I will never truly be free of its gravity, no matter how far I journey.

That is an excellent book and collection of writings. Pretty much everything by Hitchens in a masterpiece.
December 14th, 2021 at 3:33:08 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
"What, me worry?"

--- Alfred E. Neuman

December 14th, 2021 at 3:57:23 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Is that your grad picture?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 14th, 2021 at 4:16:14 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
That is the current Secretary of Transportation.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 14th, 2021 at 4:33:39 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: kenarman
Is that your grad picture?

No, this AFTER the facial reconstruction; I had to change my looks after whacking Jimmy Hoffa.
Page 9 of 12« First<6789101112>