The Revomaze

Page 3 of 4<1234>
September 2nd, 2015 at 6:27:58 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Ayecarumba
Unless collecting the whole series gets you something, I would recommend skipping the middle one and going straight to the most difficult one, because I believe the difference would be marginal. The mechanics appear to be the same. It is the size of the puzzle that appears to be different.
This skill seems similar to opening a padlock or safe. How important are sensitive fingers to solving the puzzle?

The silver sounds significantly harder than the bronze. Here are reviews of each by the same guy:

blue (Estimated solve time = 6 hours)
bronze (Estimated solve time = 40 hours)
silver (Estimated solve time = 160 hours)

Based on the review, it sounds like what makes the bronze harder than the blue is the thinking part. That I think is my strong suit. My hands are a bit shaky, which may have been why it took me way more than six hours to do the blue.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 2nd, 2015 at 7:21:16 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Is it finished, or can it be reset and done again?

If you can redo it, will it go quicker?
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
September 2nd, 2015 at 8:14:43 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: DJTeddyBear
Is it finished, or can it be reset and done again?

If you can redo it, will it go quicker?

Yes, it can be reset and done over and over. I already reset it. Once you know how to do it future solvings will be much easier. What I plan to do is not touch it for a while, until I forget what the maze looks like, and do it again.
September 2nd, 2015 at 11:48:53 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
The silver sounds significantly harder than the bronze. Here are reviews of each by the same guy:

blue (Estimated solve time = 6 hours)
bronze (Estimated solve time = 40 hours)
silver (Estimated solve time = 160 hours)

Based on the review, it sounds like what makes the bronze harder than the blue is the thinking part. That I think is my strong suit. My hands are a bit shaky, which may have been why it took me way more than six hours to do the blue.

The review mentions that the puzzle mechanism in the bronze and silver are actually different than the blue and (not previously mentioned) green. In addition to pushing, pulling and twisting, the solver must hold the puzzle a certain way in order to get past some portions of the maze.

It sounds like you are sold on these Wizard. Perhaps going the other way, and getting a twofer deal to maybe save on shipping is the better way to go, since you are well on the road to getting both.

Have you checked online auction/listing sites like Ebay or Craig's list to see if folks who may have given up, or gotten them as gifts, are selling their unsolved puzzles? Maybe a chance to save some dough.

I noticed that there's a nice display stand available too. Something to consider if you get other versions.

One of the articles mentioned that there was a prize available by collecting the codes from the certificates in the different versions and submitting them for a new puzzle that was not available for sale. Is there any mention of that promotion still going on?
September 2nd, 2015 at 4:03:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
The review mentions that the puzzle mechanism in the bronze and silver are actually different than the blue and (not previously mentioned) green. In addition to pushing, pulling and twisting, the solver must hold the puzzle a certain way in order to get past some portions of the maze.

That's good to know. I wasted a fair bit of time thinking it might have something to do with gravity and the position you held it in was important. Turns out it's not, at least with the blue.

Quote:
It sounds like you are sold on these Wizard. Perhaps going the other way, and getting a twofer deal to maybe save on shipping is the better way to go, since you are well on the road to getting both.

They offer free shipping anyway. To be honest, I'm not sure I'll ever get past bronze.

Quote:
Have you checked online auction/listing sites like Ebay or Craig's list to see if folks who may have given up, or gotten them as gifts, are selling their unsolved puzzles? Maybe a chance to save some dough.

There are no current Revomaze auctions but there are some closed ones. The prices were not that much less than new. However, I'd always question whether the last owner sold me a broken puzzle when I get to parts where I start banging my head against the wall.

Quote:
I noticed that there's a nice display stand available too. Something to consider if you get other versions.

I saw that stand at the store in Seattle. If I ever buy Silver I'll get the stand with it.

Quote:
One of the articles mentioned that there was a prize available by collecting the codes from the certificates in the different versions and submitting them for a new puzzle that was not available for sale. Is there any mention of that promotion still going on?

I read that too somewhere. According to the review I linked to last time for Silver, only about 36 people have solved it. So, I think some kind of reward is in order. Here is a scan of my certificate of completion for blue.

September 2nd, 2015 at 4:13:36 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Perhaps going the other way, and getting a twofer deal to maybe save on shipping is the better way to go, since you are well on the road to getting both.

He may as well get a sledgehammer while he's at it :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 2nd, 2015 at 8:13:18 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed
He may as well get a sledgehammer while he's at it :)

So negative, so so negative.

Really, what is it with you people and breaking things you can't solve or don't want to do? Put it down, walk away and leave it. Jeez, it's like me saying I'd burn a Hemingway because I didn't like the plot, or use Asimov's I robot series for toilet paper.

(I wouldn't, I like both those things, but seriously).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 3rd, 2015 at 5:43:46 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: TheCesspit
So negative, so so negative.

You can see Nareed used a smiley face. I took it as a reference to the EvenBob remark.
September 3rd, 2015 at 6:50:56 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
You can see Nareed used a smiley face.

You expect me to take the god Marduk seriously? He's not even Egyptian!

Quote:
I took it as a reference to the EvenBob remark.

Quite impossible. Do you know how the block function works?

All that said, a puzzle of any kind should include, as necessary, shears, hammer, sledge hammer, flamethrower, furnace, shredder, wood chipper, steamroller or nuclear explosive, in order to spare the customer one last frustration and allow for a swift, satisfactory conclusion to the whole experience.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 3rd, 2015 at 7:46:10 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
You can see Nareed used a smiley face. I took it as a reference to the EvenBob remark.

Meh. Some people can't understand other's enjoyment.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
Page 3 of 4<1234>