Don't make any more movies

Page 1 of 3123>
October 5th, 2015 at 3:39:30 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
One reason I almost no longer see movies in theaters is they aren't worth the price of admission any more. I'm content to let them be shown on basic cable, or Netflix. Sequels in particular leave me thinking "Please, don't make any more movies for this franchise."

Case in point, I watched Men in Black 3 last Saturday on Netflix.

It was ok, but only ok. Nowhere near as entertaining as the first or even the second. IMO, the animated series on TV was much better. Simpler, but they made better jokes; and I loved the semi-casual attitude towards aliens. The third movie totally ignores K in the first movie saying there's always an alien invasion, or any of a number of terrible things. For me it would have been plenty for J to go back in time to save K. No imminent destruction of Earth required.

Do any Other movies leave you silently begging "Please, don't make any more movies for this franchise"?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 5th, 2015 at 6:47:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
Do any Other movies leave you silently begging "Please, don't make any more movies for this franchise"?

I rarely go to sequels expecting that much, so maybe that helps.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 5th, 2015 at 10:56:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
One reason I almost no longer see movies in theaters is they aren't worth the price of admission any more. I'm content to let them be shown on basic cable, or Netflix. Sequels in particular leave me thinking "Please, don't make any more movies for this franchise."

Case in point, I watched Men in Black 3 last Saturday on Netflix.

It was ok, but only ok. Nowhere near as entertaining as the first or even the second. IMO, the animated series on TV was much better. Simpler, but they made better jokes; and I loved the semi-casual attitude towards aliens. The third movie totally ignores K in the first movie saying there's always an alien invasion, or any of a number of terrible things. For me it would have been plenty for J to go back in time to save K. No imminent destruction of Earth required.

Marvel Comics (39 movies) is considered a "brand"
Marvel Cinematic Universe or MCU (12 movies) is considered a "series"

MCU has made almost $9 billion in worldwide ticket sales
$1,519.6 Marvel's The Avengers
$1,402.8 Avengers: Age of Ultron
$1,215.4 Iron Man 3
$774.2 Guardians of the Galaxy
$714.8 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
$644.8 Thor: The Dark World
$623.9 Iron Man 2
$585.2 Iron Man
$449.3 Thor
$409.5 Ant-Man
$370.6 Captain America: The First Avenger
$263.4 The Incredible Hulk
$8,973.4

Using that definition, these are the "series" of movies that had 5 or more films in the series
24 James Bond
12 Marvel Cinematic Universe
12 Friday the 13th - NONE
12 Star Trek
10 Halloween - NONE
10 The Pink Panther
9 Nightmare on Elm Street - NONE
8 Batman
8 Harry Potter
8 The Muppets
8 Planet of the Apes
7 Alien
7 The Fast and the Furious - NONE
7 The Lord of the Rings
7 Police Academy
7 Saw - NONE
7 Star Wars
7 Texas Chainsaw Massacre - NONE
7 X-Men
6 Madea - NONE
6 Rocky
6 Superman
5 Benji - NONE
5 Child's Play
5 Die Hard
5 Dirty Harry
5 Ernest
5 The Exorcist
5 Final Destination
5 Godzilla
5 Hannibal Lecter
5 Herbie the Love Bug
5 Jack Ryan
5 The Karate Kid
5 Mission: Impossible
5 Paranormal Activity
5 Pokemon - NONE
5 Predator
5 Resident Evil
5 Scary Movie
5 Shrek
5 Spider-Man
5 Step Up - NONE
5 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NONE
5 Terminator
5 Transformers
5 Twilight - NONE
5 Vacation

I think MIB3 is a good example of a series that completely played out. I would not see MIB4 if you paid me, even though MIB was pretty good.
But for the most part I tend to watch all the films in a series or none of them.

I have to admit that Transformers got pretty sad as it went along, but some of them got better (like Mission Impossible). Star Wars got much worse, but I am sure I will see the reboot in December.
October 6th, 2015 at 12:39:09 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I watch mostly TV on Nflix because it does
a much better job of telling a story. In a
movie you have 100 min. In a TV show
you have 50 episodes, hopefully.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 6th, 2015 at 6:37:02 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I think MIB3 is a good example of a series that completely played out.

In the first movie, K is always calm, cool, relaxed. This was a big part of the humor. He's upset J discharges his weapon in public. When pursuing the Bug, he drives on the ceiling of the tunnel and plays Elvis, telling J "Elvis isn't dead. he went home!" And at the climactic battle he just says "I'm going to get my gun back," then proceeds t be eaten by the Bug.

But this works only if J is excitable and worried and concerned the whole time. With both acting cool in MIB 2, it loses something. The cartoons on TV kept K's and J's personalities intact.
October 6th, 2015 at 3:12:34 PM permalink
Nareed
I have to admit that Transformers got pretty sad as it went along, but some of them got better (like Mission Impossible).

I so disliked transformers and Mission Impossible, that I never saw any of the sequels.

Quote:
Star Wars got much worse, but I am sure I will see the reboot in December.

The prequels were a good idea in principle. The problem was letting George Lucas tell them, when he clearly has never cracked open a history book.

It was amusing to see a storm trooper taking orders from the annoying little green Jedi and even saying "Yes, Master Yoda." But it was also outrageous. The good guys are breeding people for cannon fodder. Why are we rooting for them? And who were they fighting? We never really know well. What were they fighting for, either side? Who knows, right.

Bleh!

Picture this:

Large armies of clones, each corps commanded by a Sith Lord, loosing death and destruction upon the galaxy. Conquering worlds, burning down some cities and even laying waste to entire planets from time to time, crudely, violently.

The Jedi are the only ones who can stop them, and they have to rally the frightened populace to fight with them. Whole worlds try to flee, some surrender, some try to appease the enemy. Palpatine leads the Republic with moving rhetoric and steely resolve.

Each time they meet, the armies of the opposing sides suffer great losses. Many Jedi and many Sith die, both fearing they'll go extinct through attrition. The enemy gaining ever more power over the Republic each day.

Behind the scenes, we see a few Sith masquerading as Jedi, infiltrating the armies of the Republic.

Then, when all seems desperate, Palpatine stages his coup, framing the Jedi as traitors. He's joined by three "renegade" Sith and miraculously the tide of battle turns. The Empire (formerly the Republic), is victorious, the Sith are annihilated along with the Jedi, and only one of them survives, and even he sustains massive injuries which leave him crippled.

That's the prequel series we should have had, not teenage angst and cliché forbidden love.
October 6th, 2015 at 9:47:26 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
I hate when they remake a great movie. Instead of trying to renew a failure. I guess you can get funding easier for remaking a great movie ? The first Maltese Falcon with Ricardo Cortez bombed.

The one remake I had to walk out on was Stagecoach 1966. Bing Crosby as Doc Boone UGH A;ex Cord as the Ringo Kid UGH
But the worst was Mike Connors at HATFIELD. DAMN John Carradine was the ultimate Gentleman Gambler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yccvdXoHubI
October 6th, 2015 at 10:46:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: buzzardknot
I hate when they remake a great movie.

It does seem that 99% of remakes are much worse. This listmaker feels that these are the top 10 films that are better than the original. I don't think #10 can be considered a remake.

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers ( 1978, remake of the 1956 film)
2. True Grit ( 2010, remake of the 1969 film)
3. The Thing ( 1982, remake of the 1951 film)
4. The Fly ( 1986, remake of the 1958 film)
5. Ocean’s Eleven( 2001, remake of the 1960 film)

6. True Lies (1994, French film La Totale! )
7. The Maltese Falcon( 1941, remake of the 1931 film)
8. Heat ( 1995, remake of the 1989:made-for-TV effort, L.A. Takedown)
9. Some Like It Hot ( 1959, remake of the 1935: French film Fanfare d’Amour)
10. Little Shop of Horrors( 1986, remake of the 1960 film) Remade as a musical

Some remakes are almost exact copies of the original film, except in English. For example The Grudge, and Vanilla Sky.
October 7th, 2015 at 12:27:15 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
True Grit wasn't better, it was different. You cannot
replace John Wayne in a movie. Ever. The orig
Ocean is unwatchable now. Orig Thing ditto.
Snatchers ditto ditto.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 7th, 2015 at 6:23:29 AM permalink
Nareed
4. The Fly ( 1986, remake of the 1958 film)

I've yet to see the original. The 86 version with Geena Davis and Jeff Goldbloom was pretty good, for a horror movie.
Page 1 of 3123>