8 votes (57.14%)
5 votes (35.71%)

14 members have voted

August 4th, 2019 at 4:57:54 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
I owe you a few just for putting up with me 10 years now. If I make it to Vegas make sure we hit a place the locals go.

I'd be happy to.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 4th, 2019 at 7:58:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I could see the brand still having some value, but we can start writing the obituary for the magazine.

As of last winter the magazine publishes only 4 times per year. But the elimination of the USA magazine may hurt the 20 international editions, which probably still make money.

Roughly 60% of the profits are from licensing, and only 40% from media (but that is mostly online media today). The magazine has about 1/3 million subscribers.
August 4th, 2019 at 10:28:18 PM permalink
quadriga
Threads: 0
While there are some notable Playboy Playmates out there (Pamela Anderson, Elle Evans), none in modern time has ever made it as a leading actress or an A-list celebrity.

Trivia Time. Which former Playboy Playmate is currently on a TV show in the U.S.?

First one to name her and I'll Paypal you lunch money---$10.00. If you use Wiki you only get $5.00. PayPal only.
August 5th, 2019 at 4:33:32 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Jenny McCarthy.
August 5th, 2019 at 4:34:00 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: quadriga
Trivia Time. Which former Playboy Playmate is currently on a TV show in the U.S.?

I'll say Las Vegas' own Patrice Hollis.

August 5th, 2019 at 6:26:57 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Wizard
I'm sure I've said this before, but Playboy is a victim of it's own success. For decades, it was the only respectable magazine with naked women, that the average man wasn't embarrassed to buy. Nobody ever really read it for the articles, let's be honest. Just having articles made it seem intellectual and safe. Now you can find whatever you want for free so easily online there is no longer a need for Playboy. It had a great run, but it's now a buggy whip in an era of cars. I could see the brand still having some value, but we can start writing the obituary for the magazine.

I beg to differ - Playboy always had excellent articles and commentary on free speech legal issues
August 5th, 2019 at 7:22:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: aceofspades
I beg to differ - Playboy always had excellent articles and commentary on free speech legal issues

I did not know until recently that one of the short stories we read in 10th grade was from "Playboy." They really did try to balance their image to be upscale. In "The People vs. Larry Flynt" they made fun of this, but it was what made them somewhat acceptable. There were surely wives who tolerated "Playboy" but would not tolerate the harder mags.
The President is a fink.
August 5th, 2019 at 7:22:59 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
...which is why I had to buy it on company expenses $:o)
August 5th, 2019 at 7:34:07 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator

I don't dispute they were well-written articles. However, I don't need to know how to make the perfect martini or the latest trends in men's fashion. I am already in agreement with Playboy in favor of free speech, so don't need to be preached to about that.

I will admit their interviews were very good and I read those carefully when I cared about the person being interviewed.
August 5th, 2019 at 7:35:09 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
I did not know until recently that one of the short stories we read in 10th grade was from "Playboy."

Was it The A&P?