Yet another aviation thread.

May 14th, 2017 at 10:39:27 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich
Sorry, I am cheap. It would have cost $500 more for my wife and I to be on a different airline coming home. We flew Delta on the way to the islands but that was using my Delta mileage.

I have no idea what you do for a vacation DRich but what did you spend on your holiday. Did you stay in a flea trap motel, did you purchase a few nice meals or eat fast food everyday, or did you, as many people seem to now, just key in on the cost of the flight. Personally I find that any holiday seems to run at least $5K so for another 10% you could have had a more enjoyable and possibly direct flight.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 14th, 2017 at 10:51:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: kenarman
Personally I find that any holiday seems to run at least $5K so for another 10% you could have had a more enjoyable and possibly direct flight.

Allentown is an Urbanized Area of population 664,651 according to 2010 census. The major airlines have turned over flights to hubs via their regional airlines: United to Chicago, Delta to Detroit and Atlanta, and American to Philadelphia and Charlotte.
Only Allegiant flies nonstops on older jets to four Florida destinations and Myrtle Beach during golf season.

So while the cost is often only 10% higher there is a lot more driving or transfer time.

There is very rarely a side by side choice where flight time is the same, but you are only talking about 10% difference in price.
May 14th, 2017 at 8:06:47 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I have no idea what you do for a vacation DRich but what did you spend on your holiday. Did you stay in a flea trap motel, did you purchase a few nice meals or eat fast food everyday, or did you, as many people seem to now, just key in on the cost of the flight. Personally I find that any holiday seems to run at least $5K so for another 10% you could have had a more enjoyable and possibly direct flight.

It's all relative. I'm the person that will buy the generic brand of Macaroni and Cheese to save 9 cents but yet pay way too much to have two new cars and a ridiculously large house.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 15th, 2017 at 6:58:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
As I have mentioned on other threads before the consumer gets exactly want he asks for. Lower prices keeps trumping everything else for the sales of almost everything. The trouble is most people want the quality they used to have and the lower pricing, the wanting to have your cake and eat it too syndrome.

That's not "the problem" because there isn't just one problem.

Another problem is the airlines apply the low fare model to everyone, not just to those looking for lower fares. Another problem is they ignored people willing to pay extra for a better flight experience. Another problem is first class has become much better while coach has gotten much worse.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 15th, 2017 at 7:25:54 AM permalink
kenarman
Quote: Nareed
That's not "the problem" because there isn't just one problem.

Another problem is the airlines apply the low fare model to everyone, not just to those looking for lower fares. Another problem is they ignored people willing to pay extra for a better flight experience. Another problem is first class has become much better while coach has gotten much worse.

Most of the "full service" airlines have an updated coach experience now for a nominal increase in fair. Coach has gotten much worse as they try to stay somewhat competitive with the low fare lines. They upgraded first class chasing the clients that are actually profitable. Can't agree with any of your separate problems they all started with the success of the low fare lines.
May 15th, 2017 at 7:52:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Most of the "full service" airlines have an updated coach experience now for a nominal increase in fair.

Funny thing about that, is that the "extra" leg room seats are about as roomy as regular coach seats were in the 90s.

They just cost extra now.

But I wouldn't call normal legroom sold as extra legroom an upgraded experience.
May 17th, 2017 at 1:35:02 PM permalink
Nareed
Boeing resumed flying their MAX fleet after only three days. They even delivered the first one to the launch customer, which is not Southwest for some reason. It's actually an airline in Malaysia, I forget its name. But apparently the world debut revenue flight for the 737 MAX will take place later this week.

Mind the cracks on the engine parts...
May 17th, 2017 at 4:40:47 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I just booked four roundtrip tickets to San Diego on Spirit. The total price was $176 ($22 each way). At that price I don't care if the plane only has one wing..
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 18th, 2017 at 8:08:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I just booked four roundtrip tickets to San Diego on Spirit. The total price was $176 ($22 each way). At that price I don't care if the plane only has one wing..

I assume that was from Las Vegas. I don't think the bus is $22.
May 18th, 2017 at 8:36:57 PM permalink
kenarman

What was the final price after the mandatory and optional add-ons? I am sure it was still cheap but if they are anything like Allegiant with that starting price it doubled.