Yet another aviation thread.

May 19th, 2017 at 2:22:59 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
I assume that was from Las Vegas. I don't think the bus is $22.
Perhaps they even have that one dollar bus, but who wants to ride a bus when they can fly instead, despite TSA gropings and delays?
May 19th, 2017 at 6:19:00 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: kenarman
What was the final price after the mandatory and optional add-ons? I am sure it was still cheap but if they are anything like Allegiant with that starting price it doubled.

The $22 each way is the final price. It is only a 3 day trip so none of us are taking any luggage, just taking personal items which are free if they fit under your seat. I generally take a gym bag or a back pack to avoid extra charges.

For those of you that don't know if you buy your Spirit tickets at the airport you save money. In my case we saved $37 a ticket at the airport for a total savings of $148.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 19th, 2017 at 6:22:19 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: Fleastiff
Perhaps they even have that one dollar bus, but who wants to ride a bus when they can fly instead, despite TSA gropings and delays?

Yes, it is from Las Vegas. We are going on a holiday weekend so it would have been about a 5.5 hour drive. Plus parking at our hotel is $38 a night. That helped make the decision easier to fly.
May 19th, 2017 at 6:26:21 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich
For those of you that don't know if you buy your Spirit tickets at the airport you save money.

Allegiant has the same policy, but their hours and airport locations are so limited that there is almost zero chance of actually being able to do so.
https://www.allegiantair.com/airport-ticket-purchase-hours-locations

Sprint does not have ridiculously limited hours and locations as Allegiant, but I am not sure if they do it at any airport where they fly.
May 19th, 2017 at 6:37:54 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
While DRich keeps ruining air travel (not single-handedly), Interjet is slowly but steadily becoming Volaris :(
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 19th, 2017 at 6:44:28 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: Nareed
Interjet is slowly but steadily becoming Volaris :(

It is inevitable.

How long before Southwest begins charging for bags? I am shocked that they haven't already started.
May 19th, 2017 at 6:57:27 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Allegiant also charges for using your credit card, carry on bags and seat choice.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 19th, 2017 at 7:02:55 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: DRich
It is inevitable.

See? You're even advocating for the Devil :)

Here's the thing: Interjet started tiered fares a few months ago. The lowest fare, called Light, doesn't allow you to pick a seat, or print a boarding pass ahead of time. This is causing problems at work. It's bad enough taking the 6 am flight. it's worse having to arrive at the airport at 4 am to make sure you won't miss the flight because the line at the counter was too long.

For international fares, the Light one doesn't include a bag. The middle tier, called Optimal, includes only one bag of up to 25 kg. The difference between these two fares is very small. Smaller than the cost of one bag! So why bother?

The top tier, called Priority, does include two bags, seating on the first two rows, dedicated counter space, and priority boarding. But it's way higher than the middle tier. Of course it's limited to 12 seats out of 150. But really it makes sense only if you expect to make several changes to your ticket, as it includes all that for no additional charge.

And yet, it remains a good choice for an airline. You still get 34" of pitch minimum on every seat (more on bulkhead and exit rows).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 19th, 2017 at 7:12:55 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: Nareed
See? You're even advocating for the Devil :)

Here's the thing: Interjet started tiered fares a few months ago. The lowest fare, called Light, doesn't allow you to pick a seat, or print a boarding pass ahead of time. This is causing problems at work. It's bad enough taking the 6 am flight. it's worse having to arrive at the airport at 4 am to make sure you won't miss the flight because the line at the counter was too long.

Are you required to check in at the counter? I don't think any U.S. airlines requires that for domestic flights. All of our budget airlines will still assign you a seat and let your print the boarding pass before getting to the airport. Many U.S. airports also have kiosks that allow you to print your boarding pass onsite. Las Vegas has banks of them near the security checkpoints.
May 19th, 2017 at 7:33:39 AM permalink
DRich
This is rather interesting. It is the breakdown of the fees for my roundtrip Spirit flight. The flight itself is listed at $1.86. The passenger usage charge is the one you avoid if you buy it at the airport.

$ 1.86┤ Flight
$13.02┤ Unintended Consequences of DOT Regulations
$37.98┘Passenger Usage Charge

GOVERNMENT'S CUT $29.52

Total Due $82.38