Germany

November 1st, 2015 at 3:24:43 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
What's the green guy carrying.

Nothing. You might think he was carrying a big German sausage but it is just that he likes to swing his arms with his long stride.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 1st, 2015 at 3:26:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: TheCesspit

A bottle of absinthe.

Looks like a thermos to me. Odd.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 1st, 2015 at 3:33:47 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Looks like Mr White to me. Trilby and all
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 1st, 2015 at 4:13:37 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
I thought it was "laugh" with the sinners...
You undoubtedly thought correctly, but one of these days I will start posting AFTER I've had morning coffee and you will sit there looking and looking for errors that are not there.
November 1st, 2015 at 5:44:56 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
What's the green guy carrying.

Ampelmännchen
(German: little traffic light men, diminutive of Ampelmann) is the symbol shown on pedestrian signals in the former East Germany, now a part of Germany. Prior to German reunification in 1990, the two German states had different forms for the Ampelmännchen, with a generic human figure in West Germany, and a generally male figure wearing a hat in the east.
The Ampelmännchen is a beloved symbol in Eastern Germany, "enjoying the privileged status of being one of the few features of communist East Germany to have survived the end of the Iron Curtain with his popularity unscathed." After the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Ampelmännchen acquired cult status and became a popular souvenir item in the tourism business.

Vienna added some gay couples to their traffic lights as gesture that shows how tolerant the city is to different sexual orientations.
November 3rd, 2015 at 6:20:27 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

This is the Reichstag, which has served as the German parliament building since renovations were completed in 1999. There is a circular walkway up to the top glass portion, which I walked up my first trip to Germany in 2000.

One of Christo's many, what I would call bizarre, projects was to cover the Reichstag in 1995, before renovations started. To me it looked about as attractive as a fumigation tent, but what do I know about art?

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 3rd, 2015 at 11:37:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Really, Wizard, did you fly on Condor? How was it?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 3rd, 2015 at 11:41:27 AM permalink
Canyonero
Threads: 10
Quote: Nareed
Really, Wizard, did you fly on Condor? How was it?

Haha! I read the thread, but must've missed that. The funny thing is, since he is probably used to US airlines, he may not even have hated it.
November 3rd, 2015 at 12:04:47 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Canyonero
Haha! I read the thread, but must've missed that. The funny thing is, since he is probably used to US airlines, he may not even have hated it.

He might have mentioned something in a different thread. Besides, Condor does run a non-stop Vegas to Frankfurt service.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 3rd, 2015 at 12:14:34 PM permalink
Canyonero
Threads: 10
Quote: Nareed
He might have mentioned something in a different thread. Besides, Condor does run a non-stop Vegas to Frankfurt service.

That is pretty convenient, but it is also 12 hours in a sardine tin. And I can't really recommend Lufthansa anymore either. The golden days of airtravel seem to be over. ... Imma watch "Catch Me if You Can" now.

Concerning the Reichstag, you may notice the word "Reich" from "Third Reich" in there. This sounded very weird to me at first, because the only connotations for that word (as a noun) are Nazis and the "Kaiserzeit" at the end of the 19th century. I would have expected them to change the name when they put the parliament back in there. Now I have gotten used to it...