Germany

Page 9 of 11« First<67891011>
November 5th, 2015 at 2:54:05 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Canyonero
It has some Borat like mockumentary parts.

Heil Honey, I'm Home was a British sitcom that aired about 25 years ago. It was meant to spoof 'fifties American sitcoms.

Hogan's Heroes got a lot of flack, but John Banner was an Austrian Jew who lost a lot of family in the Holocaust. As he explained that the show was designed to make Nazi's look like idiots, the criticism was fairly muted.
November 5th, 2015 at 3:01:18 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
...I'd build a bunker in some hidden remote location, like in Terminator 3. Doesn't the POTUS have one in Nebraska somewhere, as based on where Bush went immediately after 9/11.

...imho.

Thank you both for the responses. I believe that it is important to remember the mistakes of the past, and am uneasy when historical objects and locations are "erased". Future generations may end up romanticizing the era, "sanitizing" the really evil people and their deeds.

As for the POTUS bunker, I recall that there are a series of offices built deep below the Whitehouse and the Capitol building where the surviving members of the three branches of the government can hunker down, and put the government back together. I suppose it is best to have it close to the capital since you would need to get there quickly.

On 9/11, President Bush was at an elementary school in Florida. I recall that after the President finally got on board, Air Force 1 stayed airborne for a couple of hours over the Gulf of Mexico while the military tried to figure out how bad the attack was. After it was decided that Washington D.C. wasn't safe, they finally set down at some small airbase in Louisiana for a press conference, before heading to a nuclear bomb proof bunker in Nebraska. I don't think the bunker was purpose built for the President, but the Whitehouse decided it was the safest place with secured communication.
November 5th, 2015 at 3:07:40 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Hogan's Heroes got a lot of flack, but John Banner was an Austrian Jew who lost a lot of family in the Holocaust. As he explained that the show was designed to make Nazi's look like idiots, the criticism was fairly muted.

If only the Wehrmacht had been staffed by Shultzes and Clinks, the war would have lasted all of three days...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 5th, 2015 at 3:44:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The swastika had to be removed in many videogames to make them legal to sell in Germany.

In the late 90's I sold a lot of WWII
items on Ebay. I sent a ton of them
to EU, mostly to Germany, where
it is illegal to sell Third Reich items.
I made a lot of $ until Ebay got so
many complaints from EU that they
banned the sales of all Nazi items,
except things like stamps and books.

The interest in valid Nazi items in
Germany is very high, there are lots
of collectors.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 5th, 2015 at 7:38:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Ayecarumba

As for the POTUS bunker, I recall that there are a series of offices built deep below the Whitehouse and the Capitol building where the surviving members of the three branches of the government can hunker down, and put the government back together. I suppose it is best to have it close to the capital since you would need to get there quickly.

I can't see there being much serious below them for the simple reason they were built in the 1700s/1800s and to put a bunker under would not be practical. IIRC there is a hotel in nearby VA where they set up a superbunker for Congress to pretend to govern if we were nuked.
The President is a fink.
November 5th, 2015 at 7:41:34 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

of collectors.

This is because it is a fascinating part of history. How did a nation in 20 years rise from destruction to be undefeatable by any one other and follow such an evil path. Why did people comply and go along with it? What are the warning signs it is happening somewhere else?
The President is a fink.
November 5th, 2015 at 9:26:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
This is because it is a fascinating part of history.

Poland started producing fake Nazi war
relics as soon as 1945. There has always
been a huge market for the real ones,
and the fake ones were made in the
same time period. GI's were only in
EU for a little over a year and the
war ended. Battlefield souvenirs
were very much sought after and
the good ones were shipped back
home. Swords, daggers, belt buckles,
medals, armbands, bayonets, helmets,
flags. The lion head swords were the
coolest, they had red garnets for eyes.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 5th, 2015 at 10:58:16 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
of collectors.

There was an SS license plate on eBay about a month ago. No, I didn't get it, but was thinking about it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 5th, 2015 at 11:57:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
There was an SS license plate on eBay about a month ago. No, I didn't get it, but was thinking about it.

Was it real? What did it go for. You have
to be very careful, the Nazi's unwittingly
created the largest collectors market in
history. They reproduce everything now.

I came across some stuff in the late 90's
that blew me away, and it was all fake.
But people still wanted it, it sold really
well.
November 6th, 2015 at 5:14:06 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Was it real? What did it go for. You have
to be very careful, the Nazi's unwittingly
created the largest collectors market in
history. They reproduce everything now.

I tried to find the old listing but couldn't. I suspect the owner misspelled Schutzstaffel . As I recall when the auction was still days from completing it was about $200, which means is probably closed around $400.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 9 of 11« First<67891011>