Who grew up in smallest house?

Page 3 of 4<1234>
November 20th, 2015 at 2:42:47 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
How can you tell it is a half ton?

Glad I'm not the only one who went extreme detective mode on a totally pointless sidebar ;)

My money is on the originally-mentioned 1/2 ton. It's not an F150, I can see as much on the badge. And I don't recall a whole bunch of 350's being offered during that era, nor is it big or beefy enough to be a 3/4. F250, all the way.

I don't imagine the trailer could weigh that much, although I would agree that a house trailer like that isn't balanced properly. Still, I feel that it's much less a case of bad design and almost entirely the fact that it's a 40yr old truck that's likely rolling on original suspension. You put those tired springs to bed and you'll no longer have to get on the binders to turn ;)

As for the RV debate, you need to define "RV". RV to me is a house with a motor, like the WarWagon featured in some of my threads. This ain't that and it's sort of an apple-oranges thing. This is more like a pop-up or 5th wheel to me, and there I think a comparison can be made. Tbh, I'm having a hard time seeing where the tiny house is better. A pop up is light enough to be towed by an econo-box (as long as it's no longer under warranty), sleek enough to be relatively aerodynamic, and likely has more room. My entire extended family creates a temporary town on family land, all in pop-ups. I can't think of a single time I've been in one and though "I wish it just had...". Most times, I feel overly spoiled.

Then again, the tiny house is likely to be more a permanent thing, and I think it would take the cake in that regard. Real construction, real-ish materials, it's not going to fall apart, rip, or mold in weather like a pop up. Should I ever obtain the land I so covet, I'll have one of those houses before I plop a pop up out there.

On topic, I grew up in the house I'm in now. You've seen it. I've no business in this thread =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 20th, 2015 at 2:50:16 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I grew up in a big house. There was a rare confluence of favorable factors when my parents had it built.

I'm sure the dogs appreciated the room. I think the cat regarded it as an imposition.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 20th, 2015 at 3:09:17 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
This house will still be here 200
years from now if nobody tears it down.

I wouldn't bet against you still being around in 200 years. You "crotchety old guys" seem to live forever.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 20th, 2015 at 3:18:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Some of you here are lucky, when I was a kid we lived in a rolled-up newspaper!

Reminded me of the joke.

Yo' Mama is so poor, I saw her kicking a can down the street, and when I asked her what she was doing, she said, "Moving." ...
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 20th, 2015 at 3:25:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Reminded me of the joke.

Yo' Mama is so poor, I saw her kicking a can down the street, and when I asked her what she was doing, she said, "Moving." ...

The President is a fink.
November 20th, 2015 at 3:31:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Hillarious. I love the final punchline. You try to tell that to the young people of today and they won't believe you.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 20th, 2015 at 5:19:06 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
My dad was 30 and bought
his first car in 1950 when he was 35. Didn't need one
till then.

very similar story with my dad, 1949 I think for him. Of course, right after the war you 'couldn't get a car for nothing'.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 20th, 2015 at 5:40:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
very similar story with my dad, 1949 I think for him. Of course, right after the war you 'couldn't get a car for nothing'.

The only cars available after the war were
old cars, they stopped production in 1942.
I think 47 was the first full production
year.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 20th, 2015 at 6:04:34 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
The house I grew up in was built in the 30's, and was the front end of a duplex. It was about 1000 sq. feet with two bedrooms and one bathroom. The crazy part is that there were six of us in this space. One bathroom for six people is a recipe for trouble, especially when dinner was "10 chili dogs for a dollar" at the "Pup 'N Taco" on the corner.
November 20th, 2015 at 6:54:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
The only cars available after the war were
old cars, they stopped production in 1942.
I think 47 was the first full production
year.

They had 1946 models, mostly they were warmed-over pre-war models. It took until 1948/49 to get the all-new designs.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 4<1234>