Google Earth Game

Page 2 of 2<12
December 30th, 2015 at 11:23:51 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: odiousgambit
Common Core: It means that we now realize there are some kids who just need to be left behind [according to stephen colbert]

Isn't that obvious?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 30th, 2015 at 11:51:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I don't even know what that is. I hear politicians bring it up sometimes but it goes over my head.

It is the latest "new math." My niece and nephew are in it and my sister has a devil of a time helping them with their homework. It throws away long division and many other things. It is a kind of math that might and I say might work at a very low level, but the more complex it gets the slower the problem gets solved.

For example, 134/40 it might be almost as fast but 14569/120 it will take Common Core way longer to solve.
The President is a fink.
December 30th, 2015 at 11:56:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Great idea! I got 9 points. None of my guesses were even in the right continent.

Edit: Got 752 points my second try. Still have never got the continent right. I think a random guesser would do better.

Edit: New high score -- 4809. Got one that was only 300 miles away. I put Wyoming and it was Montana.

My high score is 23xxx. my aspergers insures that if I want to really hunt it down I really hunt it down. Hence the 1 foot 10.8 inch record. If you have seen the google cars anything below about 2 yards is within the car.

I research it to the death, but also have started to figure out the algorithm. Australia, Finland, Sweden, Poland, and the area of Russia north and east of Moscow are all good guesses if you are stuck and want to make a SWAG. Look at the features and guess.
The President is a fink.
December 30th, 2015 at 1:59:14 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I like the research nothing approach. I do one, 360* spin, think for 5 seconds, and answer. It's not all that accurate (obviously), but I'm pleased to have been as close as I have going off nothing but road signs, topography, and foliage. I couldn't tell you it was a picture of Zimbabwe, but those 5 seconds were enough to at least put me in Africa. Pretty cool =)

One Brazil pic was the only one I missed the continent completely. All I picture is the Amazon and Carnival. Who knew it looked exactly like Texas? =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 2 of 2<12