Simple question?

Thread Rating:

January 25th, 2016 at 5:27:00 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64

It goes back to something I said a long time ago, about questions you are not allowed to ask.

You are not allowed to question god's existence. You are not allowed to question god's purpose, his decisions, his reasoning.

The wrong sorts of questions are labeled as questioning god or god's motives, and are forbidden.

You are not allowed to seek answers from any other supernatural force, be it another god, or something supposedly occult such as a horoscope.

In short, there are questions that you are forbidden to ask.

OMG again! My faith came from questioning God! Questions are how you learn things and no question is off the table.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 25th, 2016 at 5:39:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
if you are pursuing truth you will be led to God.

Which 'truth'? There are so many.

'All truths are a matter of opinion. Truth is relative (to culture, historical epoch, language, society etc)All the truths that we know are subjective truths.'

There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths.
– Friedrich Nietzsche
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 25th, 2016 at 5:41:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Which 'truth'? There are so many.

'All truths are a matter of opinion. Truth is relative (to culture, historical epoch, language, society etc)All the truths that we know are subjective truths.'

There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths.
– Friedrich Nietzsche

Come on now you sound like Pontius Pilate. Truth cannot be relative. Either something is true or not. Logic 101 is that A cannot be equal to not-A.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 25th, 2016 at 5:45:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Truth cannot be relative.

And yet it is. One persons truth is anothers
belly laugh, to paraphrase Heinlein. Do you
really want to have this discussion? You will
lose.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 25th, 2016 at 6:19:38 PM permalink
FrGamble
Um...I hate to say this but you have already lost if you are trying to tell me that absolutely there is no absolute truth.
January 25th, 2016 at 6:40:39 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
OMG! It is absolutely NOT wrong to understand these things better but I think any self-respecting scientist would tell you that the death of science is to think you have it all figured out and there is nothing more to learn or discover.

Perhaps.

But a self-respecting scientist would warn you:

Quote:
By the way there is not a chance, there is a certainty that if you are pursuing truth you will be led to God.

"Do NOT to go looking for confirmation of your bias."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 25th, 2016 at 6:41:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Um...I hate to say this but you have already lost if you are trying to tell me that absolutely there is no absolute truth.

If truth is relative, and is a product, then absolute it cannot be.
Truth is an idea, an opinion only. It varies with your standpoint.
January 25th, 2016 at 6:46:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
It sounds like you are saying that it is an absolute truth that truth is only an opinion and it varies with your standpoint. Also please watch out for circular reasoning. You can't begin by saying truth is relative. Why? Because it is not absolute. Why? Because truth is relative. I'm afraid to avoid this dilemma you have to state that it is an absolute truth that truth is relative and that is self defeating.
January 25th, 2016 at 7:09:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
It sounds like you are saying that it is an absolute truth that truth is only an opinion .

Never said that, it would be a trap. Because
truth is an opinion, an absolute truth it
cannot be. Your opinion may be the truth
for you, but hilarity to me.
January 25th, 2016 at 7:19:16 PM permalink
FrGamble
Good so me saying that Truth is an absolute is exactly equal to your truth that it is only an opinion. Are you saying we are both absolutely right?