Simple question?

Page 1 of 2661234>Last »

Thread Rating:

December 28th, 2015 at 11:17:55 AM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 332
Posts: 11753
What exactly do Christians mean by "salvation"?

Am I supposed to be saved from some kind of imminent peril?

And what do they mean by "accepting Jesus as your personal savior? Is this like a personal shopper? Will a man dead for 2,000+ years offer some kind of personalized assistance in this mysterious "salvation" business?

I don't expect I'll comprehend any of this.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
December 28th, 2015 at 1:59:10 PM permalink
Dalex64
Member since: Mar 8, 2014
Threads: 2
Posts: 1973
as usual, there is a Wikipedia page on the subject

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvation_(Christianity)
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 28th, 2015 at 2:06:24 PM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 332
Posts: 11753
Thanks!

Would you believe the web filter at work blocks Wikipedia?

I'll look it up tonight at home.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
December 28th, 2015 at 2:14:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 111
Posts: 12189
When FrG see's this thread he'll get
tingly all over because it means Jesus
is speaking directly to Nareed and it's
only a matter of time till Nareed is
saved. LOL
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 28th, 2015 at 2:55:43 PM permalink
pew
Member since: Jan 8, 2013
Threads: 3
Posts: 830
Quote: Nareed
What exactly do Christians mean by "salvation"?

Am I supposed to be saved from some kind of imminent peril?

And what do they mean by "accepting Jesus as your personal savior? Is this like a personal shopper? Will a man dead for 2,000+ years offer some kind of personalized assistance in this mysterious "salvation" business?

I don't expect I'll comprehend any of this.
Simple answer. Humankind has been separated from God. We are "saved" by His atonement on the cross and the power of the Holy Spirit. Jesus is God but also a person like we too are persons. I suspect that's where the personal savior idea comes from. I don't get it myself.
December 28th, 2015 at 3:08:34 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Member since: Oct 27, 2012
Threads: 50
Posts: 5142
Quote: 00000000000000000000000000000Nareed
What exactly do Christians mean by "salvation"?
clouds and harps instead of torture by your ex-wife welilding a hot poker.
December 28th, 2015 at 3:10:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 103
Posts: 7145
Quote: pew
Simple answer. Humankind has been separated from God. We are "saved" by His atonement on the cross and the power of the Holy Spirit. Jesus is God but also a person like we too are persons. I suspect that's where the personal savior idea comes from. I don't get it myself.


We are all born in a state of sin, accepting Jesus saves you from this state.

Am I close, Padre?
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
December 28th, 2015 at 3:50:34 PM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 332
Posts: 11753
Quote: pew
Simple answer. Humankind has been separated from God. We are "saved" by His atonement on the cross and the power of the Holy Spirit. Jesus is God but also a person like we too are persons. I suspect that's where the personal savior idea comes from. I don't get it myself.


I appreciate your reply, but I still don't understand what any of that means.

"Saved" from what? How does an execution constitute atonement, and for what? Never mind for whom. Atonement is non-transferable.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
December 28th, 2015 at 4:10:28 PM permalink
pew
Member since: Jan 8, 2013
Threads: 3
Posts: 830
Quote: AZDuffman
We are all born in a state of sin, accepting Jesus saves you from this state.

Am I close, Padre?
That's correct and salvation is being re-united with God. Spiritually that is. You need to put your faith hope and trust in Christ to be born again. Spiritually that is. "Accepting Christ" is a misnomer.
December 28th, 2015 at 4:21:39 PM permalink
pew
Member since: Jan 8, 2013
Threads: 3
Posts: 830
Quote: Nareed
I appreciate your reply, but I still don't understand what any of that means.

"Saved" from what? How does an execution constitute atonement, and for what? Never mind for whom. Atonement is non-transferable.
Your original question has been answered. It's so simple even a child can understand it. Adults... not so much. "Saved" from a God less eternity. Atonement is transferable. There is no forgiveness of sin without the shedding of blood. Christ paid the ultimate sacrifice for all time. His blood is a sufficient sacrifice. We don't ever need to sacrifice again. It is finished on the cross. Simple, see? There is really not much more to be said on that specific question of yours.
Page 1 of 2661234>Last »