Now that the incandescent bulbs are gone, what's next?

Page 2 of 3<123>
December 29th, 2015 at 2:59:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Bot ten LED replacement bulbs, seven still work. 'bout two months or so ago. Reciepts? How should I know??
December 29th, 2015 at 3:03:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Voyager has been in space almost 40 years now. They can make things last even then. Probably doesn't need a light bulb, but it has working electronics.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 29th, 2015 at 3:16:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Voyager has been in space almost 40 years now. They can make things last even then. Probably doesn't need a light bulb, but it has working electronics.

Yes, but some instruments have had to be turned off, some functionality has been lost, and I think the probes can't maneuver any more.

besides, they were shielded or designed to withstand launch and boost-phase acceleration, space radiation, and extreme temperature changes (this is common to all probes). In other words, they're not regular electronics housed in a regular way.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 30th, 2015 at 10:39:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Are you going to be upset if new regulations come out banning some vacuum cleaners,hair dryers, televisions, washing machines, and refrigerators ?
December 30th, 2015 at 12:52:40 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I hate all new things, lights especially.

Who in all the hells designed those new headlights? The LED's just look stupid, so no real complaint there, but whatever the hell those blue ones are NEED TO GO. I would certainly hate to be in a head on crash, but if it happens, I pray it's into one of these tw@s. Just glimpsing them sends me into insta-rage.

Got some of those pigtail garbage bulbs in my garage. I've left them on all day at least 3 times this winter because they just don't work in the cold. I had no idea they were even on. 16 hours later when I come home they've heated up enough to work and actually cast light, but for just in and out? A candle would absolutely be far superior, and I mean A candle.

Got an LED flashlight. Bright as the dickens, but just about useless. Dunno what it is, but I lose all perception with those lights. Depth, texture, nothing has substance anymore. I use it to find the thing, but once found, I do whatever I was going to do with it in the dark.

Florescents aren't much better. It's a dirty, manic light. I suppose it's good if looking for flaws, as nothing can hide under the harsh glare of florescent, but for in home? Ugh.

Why not just give me a normal GD bulb, but cut the power? I don't need no 75-100W job anyways; I'm not keeping burgers warm here. I have a few 60's and even those I cover or shade.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 30th, 2015 at 1:02:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Those blue headlights blind me and
give me an instant headache. They
also make me instantly angry.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 30th, 2015 at 1:04:08 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
Got an LED flashlight. Bright as the dickens, but just about useless. Dunno what it is, but I lose all perception with those lights.

You need to get them in "warm light" versions, meaning "yellow light," like sunlight. The prevalent "cool/cold light" are not as good. The same goes for fluorescents.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 30th, 2015 at 1:24:49 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
That's interesting you guys mentioning the anger of being blinded at night by those blue headlights. Me too. I also have the start of cataracts which put a halo around the lights and nobody will dim their lights now. It pisses me off.

I have considered putting landing lights on my truck or a 6 foot flashbulb off a camera to seer their retina's.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 30th, 2015 at 1:27:16 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Evenbob
Those blue headlights blind me and
give me an instant headache. They
also make me instantly angry.

I can't believe they're still legal. I mean, tuner guys catch hell because their headlights are lower than 24" off the road. Apparently that's some "major safety issue" (more like an excuse to hassle the tuners). But these things, like you said, literally blind you. And not "left your brights on" blind, either. It almost causes physical pain to where you must completely squeeze your eyes shut. Gods, I hate them.

Just wait. LED's are gonna blow up. Mark my words, youngsters are going to start trimming their cars in LED. No more chrome strips or hockey stripes, all that s#$% is gonna be lit up. Lighted hood scoops, lighted cowls, lighted grilles

Mark 'em. In 2016 you will see a Kia Optima that looks like Dynamo from "Running Man". Idiot kids...

Quote: Nareed
You need to get them in "warm light" versions, meaning "yellow light," like sunlight. The prevalent "cool/cold light" are not as good. The same goes for fluorescents.

I have never seen different flavors, not that I've ever looked. If I see an LED flashlight, 100% of the time it's brighter than 1,000 suns and whiter than Jim Gaffigan. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled next time I'm at Lowe's. I don't think I'd mind LED if I could tame them. Most of my Xmas lights are LED and I find them quite soothing.
December 30th, 2015 at 1:37:47 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
That's interesting you guys mentioning the anger of being blinded at night by those blue headlights. Me too. I also have the start of cataracts which put a halo around the lights and nobody will dim their lights now. It pisses me off.

I have considered putting landing lights on my truck or a 6 foot flashbulb off a camera to seer their retina's.

I, once, had a bulb out of a stadium pole. I can't remember what it was rated, but it was over 300W. You could spot a coon in a tree with it and it'd be cooked and ready to serve before it hit the ground. Fearsome powerful.

I too fantasize about that, and one glorious year, I sort of lived it. I had a big Dodge Ram with an off road kit, which made it sit high and caused a bunch of people to flash me thinking my brights were on. Well that Dodge had a funky light switch. If I pulled it part way, it caused every light to come on at the same time. Lows, highs, and even the fog lights, all at once. Most of the times I just ate it, as normal high beams don't bother me at all. They'd flash me, I'd blip em back to show compliance, and all was well. But if I got an asshole that liked to blast, or a jagoff in front of me slamming breaks and tossing fingers? O man. Short pull the light wand and it was like Genesis 1:3 in that mahf#$%er XD

I'd consider rigging something to have that capability back. It's very satisfying =)
Page 2 of 3<123>