What do we have a militia clause for?

Page 1 of 3123>
December 15th, 2012 at 5:25:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Shouldn't we call up citizens with guns to stand guard on various vulnerable institutions like grade schools?

It's about time we stopped ignoring that part of the second amendment.

I've seen suggestions we hire security guards or arm teachers. Why? We have a militia clause. We have vulnerable Americans and we already have plenty of citizens with guns.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 15th, 2012 at 7:04:29 PM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
Indeed we do have the right to keep and bear arms for a proper militia. In fact you can call up (conscript) citizens. But elsewhere in the legalities is the Act of Congress needed to declare a war, and so open up the conscription of people. Nonetheless, outside of a declared war, one can still join up with the National Guard, and be pressed into duty.

Why hire anyone for pay, when a jurisdiction can press the volunteers into service.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
December 15th, 2012 at 7:49:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I don't believe a militia can be called upon to patrol against a domestic threat.

Not sure what vulnerable institutions you are talking about. You cannot protect everything, and too many people seem to prefer grade schools and colleges be "legal gun free zones" so that the only way to protect them with firearms is to break the law.

Bottom line is the gun did not kill the students and teachers, the nutjob did. As we live in a society that recently removed the word "lunatic" from the language lest someone be offended, and refuses to say behavior is wrong lest we be "judgemental" such events should be of little suprise.

There were just as many guns 40+ years ago, yet few if any such shootings. The guns did not change, societal standards have. 40 years ago the media would not have given a pass to the POTUS candidate who admitted using cocaine while raising concern about one with Christian beliefs. That is merely one example.
The President is a fink.
December 15th, 2012 at 9:30:44 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Quote: AZDuffman
Bottom line is the gun did not kill the students and teachers, the nutjob did.
If only each of the kindergarteners had a concealed carry permit, this tragedy would have all been avoided or minimized.
December 15th, 2012 at 11:54:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Bottom line is the gun did not kill the students and teachers, the nutjob did.

Yup, but we also try to make it as difficult as possible for terrorist to access an airliner. Because airliners don't kill people either.

NRA has steadfastly been applying the opposite idea to guns. They generally resist laws that make access harder.

What's different about gun than just about everything else dangerous. Point & click. Can hide em in small places. Kill at distance. They don't have much secondary usefulness like airliners or cars. Most people don't need to hunt to eat anymore.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 16th, 2012 at 12:13:38 AM permalink
rxwine
Hell, I just moved to Florida in the last year. I don't know what the requirements for getting a gun here, but to get my driver;'s license, you pass written test, eye test, maybe driving test if you never took one. They make sure you have insurance before you get on the road. Your car has meet certain standards too. They didn't accept Nevada drivers license as proof of citizenship. I understand they don't accept military ID either. Had to get order another birth certificate, and another SS card which who knows when I last had one. Just never needed it all these years.

I bougth a 350 cycle, and had to pay and take a 2 day written and road course for that.

Jumped through hoops and more hoops in hoops to get to drive.

People think getting guns are too difficult or intrusive. Bullshit, I say. Make em jump through hoops.
December 16th, 2012 at 12:27:05 AM permalink
rxwine
You're born with life, and vocal cords for speech, but no one born with a metal gun. It's probably an invented right.
December 16th, 2012 at 1:41:24 AM permalink
Mooseton
Threads: 0
Funny how it seems people are feeling entitled to everything these days but in the case of their own defense these very people would rather not defend themselves. Like sheep, but people. Sheeple.
December 16th, 2012 at 2:46:06 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
There were just as many guns 40+ years ago

Gun ownership, ie households that have guns, is way down.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 16th, 2012 at 4:07:50 AM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
For AZDuffman

National Guard of the US
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
Page 1 of 3123>