"I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters"

Page 1 of 41234>
February 21st, 2016 at 12:58:22 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
"I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters", was comment that Trump made a few weeks ago. I don't know how he gets away with that kind of megalomania. It seems amazing that Mitt Romney's 47% comment would cause so much controversy, and Trump can get away with that kind of statement.

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what ... who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives"- M.R.
February 21st, 2016 at 1:03:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
What's even funnier is Romney was talking about the people who wouldn't vote for him anyway. Trump wasn't.

If what Trump said, isn't a version of, my voters are too dumb to not vote for me no matter what I do, I don't know what is. In fact, it's not apparent some even knew he just insulted them.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 21st, 2016 at 1:08:52 PM permalink
rxwine
I'd have to say it's tremendous arrogance on Trump's part to say it. But it's hard to argue he might be justified since there was no real backlash.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 21st, 2016 at 1:28:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
I'd have to say it's tremendous arrogance on Trump's part to say it.

Unlike Obama's arrogance? How many times
does Obama use the word 'I' in a speech. All
really successful people are arrogant, it goes
with the territory.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 21st, 2016 at 1:58:25 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Trump used "I" twice in that quote.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 21st, 2016 at 2:36:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Dalex64
Trump used "I" twice in that quote.

Trump puts his name on the sides of
buildings, on golf courses, on his planes.
Who does that. Most successful people
are arrogant, that's how they got there.
Was Steve Jobs arrogant? Is Zuckerberg?
IBM didn't like dealing with a young Bill
Gates because he was so arrogant. The
orig Rockefeller was arrogant in the extreme.
An over abundance of self worth is what it
takes to make it big, the shy and retiring
sorts stay in the mailroom.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 21st, 2016 at 3:29:02 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Trump gets away with it because he made his brand. Obama got away with the guns and religion quote, Hillary get away with running while under FBI investigation. The thing is when Romney's non-issue quote came up he spent all kinds of time defending and apologizing for it. By the time the press digests what he said, Trump will be on to something else.

Trump is refusing to play by the lamestream media rules.
The President is a fink.
February 21st, 2016 at 3:47:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman

Trump is refusing to play by the lamestream media rules.

In his business life, Trump is a bulldozer.
He's knows what he wants and how to
get it so don't get in his way. I read a
piece years ago by a guy who worked
for Trump. He said if you're lucky enough
to get an appointment with him, you
better be ready to present your case or
you won't get another chance. You have
a short amount of time and then you're
gone. He puts up with no nonsense.

That's how he treats the media. This is his
game, play it his way or don't, he'll keep
playing it his way anyway.
February 21st, 2016 at 4:00:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Trump supporters are starting to remind me of beaten wives.

They rationalize how the husband loves them even when he beats them or whatever he does which is awful.

I note, Romney and Obama aimed their arrogance at the non-supporters.
February 21st, 2016 at 4:21:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Trump supporters are starting to remind me of beaten wives.

They rationalize how the husband loves them even when he beats them or whatever he does which is awful.

Nah, Trump supporters are not at all like Hillary.

I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a Trump supporter, though I lean to him and one of those online quiz things said I was something like 98% in line with him on issues.

The reason Trump is getting support is that he resonates and has told the media to stick their rules up their tail. They are tired of both sides saying how much they love illegal immigration. Tired of the two-headed monster that is our political system. Tired of the GOP giving Obama everything he wants no matter that they were voted in to stop his radical agenda. Tired of the PC society. Tired of feminized politicians and looking for an alpha male who makes no apologies for being that to step up.

He is a bit of a modern day Teddy Roosevelt. TR might have had too many left-wing ideas, but the guy stood up and got things done. Trump is getting the kind of people who want to look out for their and the USA's self-interest first and don't care how un-PC it sounds.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 41234>