Ranking Nuts

Page 3 of 3<123
February 23rd, 2016 at 4:17:30 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
Imagine a nice, fluffy angel food, or maybe just a regular ol' moist yellow. Get some soft peach chunks, maybe crisp apple in there. Hell, add cherries or even pears. Maybe all of the above. No icing, maybe the lightest of glazes.

That sounds delicious, and would be a fruit cake. Where did it all go so wrong?

You went wrong at "Peach."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 23rd, 2016 at 4:18:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think the fruitcake stuff was originally taken with rum... which may well have been the primary reason.
February 23rd, 2016 at 6:22:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
I think the fruitcake stuff was originally taken with rum... which may well have been the primary reason.

Well, add enough rum, and you could probably eat tire tread and not notice.

Tire tread = chewy
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 23rd, 2016 at 7:48:41 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
You know, I don't like peanuts either. Not even peanut butter, save for the 5% nut / 95% sugar concoction that is the peanut butter in a Reese's Cup. But, I do fancy plain shelled peanuts at one particular bar and at my local race track. At those two places, I typically eat like 10 dozen of the bastards, but only ever at those two places.

I have probably eaten shelled peanuts 5 times in the last 10 years and each time was at a baseball game. To me they are the perfect ballpark snack. Everybody else can have hot dogs and nachos, i will take the peanuts.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 23rd, 2016 at 8:35:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
There's a chain restaurant here called Logan's
Roadhouse. They have buckets of salted shelled peanuts
on every table. Oh man, I can't stop eating
those things. The salt has an almost malt
vinegar taste to it, I can eat the whole bucket
before the food comes.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 24th, 2016 at 1:33:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
You know, I don't like peanuts either. Not even peanut butter, save for the 5% nut / 95% sugar concoction that is the peanut butter in a Reese's Cup.

I'm of the opinion that coffee and peanut butter each make up a major food group.

The one problem is almost all commercial peanut butter has sugar in it, even those labeled as "natural."

Making one's own is supposed to be easy. I'm of a mind to get a real food processor and try it. The big problem with home made PB is that it won't have the emulsifiers added to commercial brands. Ergo the oil will separate from the rest, whereupon it's necessary to stir the concoction to restore its level of creaminess.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 24th, 2016 at 2:10:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
whereupon it's necessary to stir the concoction to restore its level of creaminess.

I only buy the PB that has peanuts and
salt in it. I stir it for 5min and never have
to stir it again.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 24th, 2016 at 10:12:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
It took over 25 years to get it enacted but there is indeed a Standard of Identity for peanut butter.... enacted during the administration of a peanut farmer of course.

I see no need for emulsifiers in most products... even milk used to come non-homogenized with the cream rising to the top.
February 25th, 2016 at 7:18:27 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I tend to not be brand loyal to any item other than peanut butter. I buy JIF and only JIF
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 25th, 2016 at 10:32:36 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: Nareed
Nuts: anything you'd find in a mixed nut bowl.
Fruit, anything sweet(ish) and tasty not found in a bowl of mixed nuts.
My parents used to put out a bowl of peanuts, raisins and chocolate morsels.

My list:
Macadamia
Cashews - unsalted
Pecans
Walnuts
Hazelnut
Pistachio
Almonds
Cashews - salted
Peanuts
Coconuts

Not sure why coconuts are even on the list except for the name.

My wife calls shelled pistachios "lazy snacks". Don't know why shelled peanuts don't get the same moniker.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
Page 3 of 3<123