No votes (0%)
2 votes (40%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

March 9th, 2016 at 9:40:49 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: FrGamble
I can't stand it any longer, please someone tell me that Trump will not be the Republican nominee! Is it still possible that someone, anyone can upset him?

Many people upset Trump. He's very easily upset.... it happens when your a small-fingered vulgarian.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 9th, 2016 at 11:46:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I can't stand it any longer, please someone tell me that Trump will not be the Republican nominee! Is it still possible that someone, anyone can upset him?

I like Trump, he doesn't turn my stomach
like everybody else on the ticket. Mostly
Rubio and Cruz. Kasich is OK, he might
be Trump's VP. Last night was a stinker
for Cruz and Rubio. New poll today says
Trump leads him by 16 in FL, and the
polls have been pretty accurate lately.
Rubio is done, Cruz is almost done.
When Trump takes PA, NY and NJ, where
Cruz doesn't have a chance, he'll be done
too.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 16th, 2016 at 6:49:51 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Now if Trump is not the "presumptive nominee" (i.e. reaches 1237 delegates) can Rubio compel his delegates to vote for Cruz? Or do they have to vote for Rubio until the second ballot?
March 16th, 2016 at 9:33:44 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Pacomartin
Now if Trump is not the "presumptive nominee" (i.e. reaches 1237 delegates) can Rubio compel his delegates to vote for Cruz? Or do they have to vote for Rubio until the second ballot?

I thought it was not until after the first round that people can veer from their pledge. And isn't it more likely Rubio's delegates nominate Kasich now?

EDIT: It appears from a quick read that the release from being pledged to a candidate differs from state-to-state rules.

I'd love to see a brokered Republican convention, as it would amuse me no end that the party can't get it together enough and let a salesman win a plurality of the votes, with second place won by the guy everyone in the corridors of power either dislikes or hates.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 16th, 2016 at 9:56:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
EDIT: It appears from a quick read that the release from being pledged to a candidate differs from state-to-state rules.

Are you talking about a release on the first ballot, or on subsequent ballots?

From the current count Rubio's and earlier candidates combined with Ted Cruz are still behind Trump. Are they released from their state obligation and free to vote for whomever they choose, or are they directed by the candidate who were supposed to get the votes?

691 Donald Trump
412 Ted Cruz
172 Marco Rubio
146 John Kasich
15 earlier candidates
March 16th, 2016 at 10:03:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Does it matter?

The guy with the hairpiece has already threatened riots if he's not crowned at the convention.

At the tie of the 2000 post-election kerfuffle, I noted how the fight was fought in the courts rather than in the streets, and that things remained off the streets even after an adverse decision for one side.

Good times.

One figures Trump will next threaten civil war if he loses to Clinton.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 16th, 2016 at 11:51:38 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Pacomartin
Are you talking about a release on the first ballot, or on subsequent ballots?

Even that appears to be 'it depends', though candidates can release their pledged delegates it seems on the first ballot, as happens when there's a majority, to show party unity. But that's in an unbrokered convention.

Quote:

From the current count Rubio's and earlier candidates combined with Ted Cruz are still behind Trump. Are they released from their state obligation and free to vote for whomever they choose, or are they directed by the candidate who were supposed to get the votes?

691 Donald Trump
412 Ted Cruz
172 Marco Rubio
146 John Kasich
15 earlier candidates

This is what I could find:

Quote:
Each state has different rules on what their delegates are required to do, meaning there is no one way for them to go.

Certain states could bind the delegates to vote for Rubio on the first ballot of what may end up being a contested convention in July. Others may allow their delegates to do whatever they want – either as a state-wide block or as individuals – now that Rubio is no longer running.

One thing is clear: His former competitors are gunning for those delegates, who are a collection of party activists or local political leaders chosen to represent a portion of a state’s population.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/marco-rubios-collapse-sets-off-scramble-delegates/story?id=37692165
Page 2 of 2<12