Wizard, when are you going to Singapore?

Page 2 of 2<12
March 13th, 2016 at 2:38:42 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
So you book this flight: Purchase Price $1,108.76 economy
1:10 pm - 12:20 am (22h 10m) Stop in HKG 2h 15m ground time
6:00 am - 1:45 pm (20h 45m) Stop in HKG 1h 45m ground time

(15h 30m) eastbound as opposed to (20h 45m) delta (5h 15m)
(16h 20m) westbound as opposed to (22h 10m) delta (5h 50m)

against possibly longer flight to feeder city, and probably lower cost, but with awkward arrival time..

Probably depends on the person. Are there showers in airport?

I just checked out that SFO to SIN evening departure
A lot of my clients that I send to SIN are based in IND
Only 1 nonstop IND to SFO and its a morning flight
Lots of nonstops from IND to ORD on UA so connecting through ORD easier
I may sell SFO-SIN but not for my IND clients which are numerous
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 13th, 2016 at 7:08:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
Lots of nonstops from IND to ORD on UA so connecting through ORD easier

As you are in this business you know that United's press release that "customers will be able to save up to four hours' journey time each way, as compared with the current United one- stop service" has to be balanced against all kinds of considerations like arrival times, convenient connections, etc. I assume that "current United one- stop service" means the ORD-HKG-SIN flight. For your Indiana customers this new nonstop is not an improvement at all. Now obviously if you live in SFO, it is a big improvement.

Case in point was the Concorde. As everyone knows the Concorde cut the flight time from JFK to LHR from 7 hours to 3.5 hours. Now originally they used to fly the Concorde to Washington Dulles as well. But given that DC people are not as free with their money, DC is much smaller than JFK, and the concerns about sonic booms over land, the Dulles flight didn't last long. But they didn't want to completely lose the customers, so British Airways put in a special turboprop connector from Washington Dulles to JFK exclusively for the Concorde passengers that was a free flight. But you are only saving 3.5 hours with the Concorde. If you add two turboprop flights from IAD to JFK and JFK to IAD even with special VIP handling of passengers, you lose most of that 3.5 hours. Plus the flights were all during the workday, instead of mostly at night. So the bottom line was if you wanted to go from IAD to LHR you might as well buy a flatbed on a subsonic nonstop and fly at night.

That's the reason I think that supersonic commercial aircraft won't return. For most people other factors tend to eat up a lot of the time involved in travel. Like my Washington traveller, he is probably better off spending the money on first class.
Page 2 of 2<12