Sprint calls T-Mobile 'ghetto' in exceptionally tasteless ad

Page 1 of 3123>
April 14th, 2016 at 2:16:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/12/11418642/sprint-calls-tmobile-ghetto-exceptionally-tasteless-ad

Sprint has been bought by a Japanese company, Softbank, so it is no longer an American company.

One would think that the wisdom of having a bunch of white people using the word "ghetto" in an ad is not an intelligent move. On the other hand I wonder if this advertisement was made with the intention of pulling it after a few hours.

Like they want you to talk about it, but pretend it was really a mistake.
April 14th, 2016 at 3:51:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

One would think that the wisdom of having a bunch of white people using the word "ghetto" in an ad is not an intelligent move. On the other hand I wonder if this advertisement was made with the intention of pulling it after a few hours.

Seems it has already been pulled. Might indeed be clever. T-Mobile is kind of ghetto. Now T-Mobile has to spend time explaining that they aren't.
The President is a fink.
April 14th, 2016 at 6:58:53 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Pacomartin
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/12/11418642/sprint-calls-tmobile-ghetto-exceptionally-tasteless-ad

Sprint has been bought by a Japanese company, Softbank, so it is no longer an American company.

Is the word 'ghetto' now taboo? I still hear the Elvis song "Down in the Ghetto" played.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 14th, 2016 at 12:01:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
T-Mobile is the cheapest, isn't it? I'm sure
lots of people feel it's the poor persons
choice, we just aren't allowed to say that
kind of stuff anymore. We just think it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 14th, 2016 at 12:50:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob

T-Mobile has a very poor network. I bought one of their phones for the luggage gig. Using it now as my iPhone broke. I am going back to iPhone after I pay my next credit line off. Use the savings from the payment I do not have to make it. The thing is awful, in the airport it could get no signal. I only bought it to use their app, cheapest one they had.
The President is a fink.
April 14th, 2016 at 1:13:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
T-Mobile has a very poor network. I bought one of their phones for the luggage gig. Using it now as my iPhone broke. I am going back to iPhone after I pay my next credit line off. Use the savings from the payment I do not have to make it. The thing is awful, in the airport it could get no signal. I only bought it to use their app, cheapest one they had.

The lady in the ad was correct, but saying
it makes you a bigot now. Telling some kid
to pull up his pants because you don't enjoy
staring at his ass means your bigoted.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 14th, 2016 at 2:01:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
The lady in the ad was correct, but saying
it makes you a bigot now. Telling some kid
to pull up his pants because you don't enjoy
staring at his ass means your bigoted.

I long ago stopped caring if I am called a bigot. I'd rather believe in something than get the approval of certain people.
The President is a fink.
April 14th, 2016 at 8:38:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Actually, Sprint often has the worst service than T-Mobile. As one person said, "If T-mobile is ghetto, than Sprint is Trailer Park". AT&T and Verizon are the children of Bell Telephone, and they have much more resources. But the USA has 60 million rural population and 249 million urban population. Many people don't care about having good service in rural America. T-mobile has coverage in all three countries for no extra cost.

I think it wasn't a mistake at all. Sprint intended to pull the ad, but they got massive coverage in the meantime. Just because most people called them tasteless doesn't matter. They got the word out.
April 14th, 2016 at 9:49:09 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I've had Tmobile since 1998, when my original vendor was Aerial (bought out by them). I had terrible service in my house, and great service everywhere else. I sold that house several years ago, so not a problem any more. Not really interested in switching, either.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 16th, 2016 at 1:07:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin

Softbank's founder and CEO Masayoshi Son acquired Sprint Telecom about two years. His plan was to merge with T-Mobile USA. T-Mobile International AG is a German holding company for Deutsche Telekom AG's various mobile communications subsidiaries outside Germany.

The merger ran into some surprising resistance from the FAA and was abandoned.

As global companies, both T-Mobile and Tracfone have far more subscribers than Verizon and AT&T which dominate the USA market.

Total Subscribers in millions
286.00 (December 2015) Tracfone: América Móvil Mexico
152.40 (March 2015) T-Mobile :Deutsche Telekom Germany
140.10 (January 2016) Verizon : United States
128.60 (January 2016) AT&T : United States

The reality is that if you really cared about being able to make a phone call from anywhere in the world (at sea, in a desert, in the mountains) you would pay the huge dollars to have a Low Earth Orbit satellite phone from Iridium, Globalstar, or Inmarsat. If you spend a lot of time on the road between cities and in the midwest you should buy a Verizon or AT&T cellular system. But since most people live in urban areas, the network coverage of Sprint and T-mobile is sufficient.

But the idea that a company that Sprint wanted to merge with until August 2014 that has almost a quarter of a billion subscribers is actually catering to ghetto drug dealers is marketing genius.
Page 1 of 3123>