Cell Phone Plan Suggestions

Page 2 of 3<123>
July 11th, 2016 at 5:36:49 AM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Ok that's what I suspected would happen. I won't be using it if that's the case. I assume data will be the same?
Will this be the case even at Niagara Falls where you're literally just across a river?
July 11th, 2016 at 8:10:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Aussie
Ok that's what I suspected would happen. I won't be using it if that's the case. I assume data will be the same?
Will this be the case even at Niagara Falls where you're literally just across a river?

Data may be worse. It WAS Niagara Falls. If that is where you are and it is important I have been right at the river and gotten a us signal.
The President is a fink.
July 11th, 2016 at 8:17:25 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

Data would also be expensive. Niagra Falls would probably be fine since you can likely connect to a tower across the river. If you need to stay connected while in Toronto you might be able to get a small roaming packing from the US supplier. You should be able to find free Wi-Fi many places in Toronto and just turn the data off and use Wi-Fi to check your e-mail.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 11th, 2016 at 3:53:26 PM permalink
Aussie
Thanks guys. I won't bother when across the border. Wi-fi will be sufficient.

I note there is an AT&T store in the fashion show mall in Vegas. Quite possibly the stupidest question you'll read today but I assume there will be no issue picking up a sim and getting it operational there after I arrive?
July 11th, 2016 at 3:59:30 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I've seen someone use an AT&T store in Seattle and do just that in 20 minutes, 4 years back.

In case you don't get a better answer. As for Canada reception... you may even find free wifi on the streets of downtown TO. You get it in little places like Victoria BC.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 11th, 2016 at 5:16:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quite possibly the stupidest question you'll read today but I assume there will be no issue picking up a sim and getting it operational there after I arrive?

Verizon Prepaid is selling the SIm card and 30 days of service (unlimited talk and text and 2 GB) online for half off ($25) and free shipping. ONLINE ONLY
http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/sma-4g-sim-activation-kit/

TravelPass Now your wireless plan travels just like you do. For just $2 a day per line in Mexico and Canada, you can take your domestic Talk, Text and Data allowances with you. You’re only charged on the days you use your device abroad. It’s an economical way to stay connected while you travel.

Pay as You Go pricing
For customers traveling outside the US.
Canada, Mexico $0.99/min
August 28th, 2016 at 7:42:55 PM permalink
Aussie
Suppose an update is in order for anyone who may be interested or potentially need something similar in the future. I ended up going for AT&T and got a sim from their stand at Fashion Show Mall in Vegas. $60+$10 connection fee got me sim which is active for 30 days with the first 6gb of data high speed (unsure how high but I connect to LTE where available) then unlimited after that at a slower speed. Can't recall what the deal with calls and texts was but I have made plenty without an issue. This deal gave me network access in Canada as well which was a bonus (also Mexico if I had have needed it).

Coverage was spotty on the drive from Vegas to Yosemite and poor generally in Yosemite itself. Basically nothing where I stayed at half dome village but reasonable in Yosemite Village. The best coverage came at the turnaround point on my two full day hikes on top of Clouds Rest and Half Dome.
September 13th, 2016 at 9:53:00 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Sprint has a promotion going on that they don't advertise. This promotion isn't lucrative enough to justify switching to Sprint, but if you are already an existing Sprint customer you can still take advantage of the promotion.

Earn 417 frequent flier miles per month, every month for the rest of your life, as long as you stick with Sprint. These are American Airlines AAdvantage miles (and American miles can be redeemed on several other airlines, including Qantas, Japan Airlines, Alaska, British Airways etc.).

If I'm reading the fine print correctly, the promotion will go on basically forever, but Sprint customers must sign up for the promotion before December 31, 2016.

What I like about this promotion is that normally airline frequent flier miles will be confiscated after 18 months of inactivity, but since you're earning miles every month, these miles will never expire. And after the initial hassle of signing up, it's maintenance-free to continue earning.

Last December I flew one-way from California to Hawaii on Alaska Airlines using 18,500 American miles. You could earn that by paying your cell phone bill for just over 3 and 1/2 years.
July 14th, 2021 at 11:42:40 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I finally upgraded my phone and service
Had boost mobile
Its a great deal if you live in a city with good coverage
I got grandfathered in because they took over Virgin mobile
40 bucks a month for 35 Gigs per month data
Good price, I stream a lot and 35 Gigs was about the most I used in a month
Boost has been sucking for me as coverage sucks out in the boonies of UT AZ CO and WY
Heading to the Dakota's next week.
So I looked into switching
My current phone so cheap or old, does not qualify for a trade
To get a discounted phone with no trade, I need to partially finance it
Without finance, have to pay full price
I tried Verizon because was told had best network
Could not get financing approved even though my credit is spotless. Probably due to my RV address
ATT approved finance
Reality not really financing, just want the disc, will complete phone purchase on next bill
Got a midrange phone
Pretty thrilled with it
Galaxy A32 5G
65 bucks a month , unlimited data. Cheaper then the 70 Verizon charges. I hear network not as extensive but so far pretty happy
A lot more then 40 a month Boost but now getting strong service in small towns
ATT had cheaper deals but only at 5 or 10 gigs of data a month.
That sucks.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 14th, 2021 at 12:30:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined
I finally upgraded my phone and service
Had boost mobile
Its a great deal if you live in a city with good coverage
I got grandfathered in because they took over Virgin mobile
40 bucks a month for 35 Gigs per month data
Good price, I stream a lot and 35 Gigs was about the most I used in a month
Boost has been sucking for me as coverage sucks out in the boonies of UT AZ CO and WY
Heading to the Dakota's next week.
So I looked into switching
My current phone so cheap or old, does not qualify for a trade
To get a discounted phone with no trade, I need to partially finance it
Without finance, have to pay full price
I tried Verizon because was told had best network
Could not get financing approved even though my credit is spotless. Probably due to my RV address
ATT approved finance
Reality not really financing, just want the disc, will complete phone purchase on next bill
Got a midrange phone
Pretty thrilled with it
Galaxy A32 5G
65 bucks a month , unlimited data. Cheaper then the 70 Verizon charges. I hear network not as extensive but so far pretty happy
A lot more then 40 a month Boost but now getting strong service in small towns
ATT had cheaper deals but only at 5 or 10 gigs of data a month.
That sucks.

When I was driving from Florida to New Jersey in a rental, I just stopped at several McDonalds on the way to do some internet connections. Some of the smaller stores that have free wifi require you to find out their access code, but many bigger chains don't.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 2 of 3<123>