Secualrism vs Religion

Page 1 of 41234>
August 15th, 2016 at 6:51:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 301
Posts: 9756
Secular: 'What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel! in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!"

Religion: "What is Man that thou art mindful of Him?"


So why the hell am I supposed to look for awe and wonder in religion?
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
August 15th, 2016 at 7:26:04 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Member since: Oct 27, 2012
Threads: 46
Posts: 3795
Quote: Nareed
So why the hell am I supposed to look for awe and wonder in religion?
You should be able to experience awe and wonder in all things...even the mass suicide of the lemmings or the human equivalent, religion.
August 15th, 2016 at 10:07:34 AM permalink
pew
Member since: Jan 8, 2013
Threads: 2
Posts: 679
Quote: Nareed
Secular: 'What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel! in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!"

Religion: "What is Man that thou art mindful of Him?"


So why the hell am I supposed to look for awe and wonder in religion?
Secular is religion.
'Everybody serves somebody"- Bob Dylan.
August 15th, 2016 at 10:16:34 AM permalink
FrGamble
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 42
Posts: 4742
Quote: Nareed
Secular: 'What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel! in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!"

Religion: "What is Man that thou art mindful of Him?"


So why the hell am I supposed to look for awe and wonder in religion?


I think both of these quotes are religious. Such is the wonder and paradox of humanity.
August 15th, 2016 at 10:31:48 AM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 301
Posts: 9756
Quote: FrGamble
I think both of these quotes are religious. Such is the wonder and paradox of humanity.


The first quote specifically removes all trace of your precious original sin. If it is religious, then it's also blasphemous.

Discuss :)
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
August 15th, 2016 at 10:55:37 AM permalink
FrGamble
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 42
Posts: 4742
Quote: Nareed
The first quote specifically removes all trace of your precious original sin. If it is religious, then it's also blasphemous.

Discuss :)


You really don't understand Original Sin at all. Original Sin is the realization of how extraordinary awesome we are, so far above all the other animals and full of infinite capacity to learn and to love. Shakespeare, being a good Catholic, recognized this truth but also surely knew the other side of humanity too. The part that led to incest and murder. How can we be both things at the same time: awesome and prone to sin? Answer, Original Sin.
August 15th, 2016 at 11:04:32 AM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 301
Posts: 9756
Quote: FrGamble
You really don't understand Original Sin at all.


Yes, well, by definition something original is done originally only once. Afterwards it may be repeated, but then it's not original.

So by definition it's Derivative Sin, but maybe that doesn't have the same ring to it. also maybe it would expose the terrible injustice of it.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
August 15th, 2016 at 11:58:06 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 23
Posts: 1888
I think that FrGamble is co-opting Shakespeare as a Catholic a little too freely. It's not clear if he was... He married in a Protestant church, and left a Church of England will. C of E was definitely new in his time, and catholicism was banned in the UK still, but there exists no strong evidence that he was a good Catholic or a good Protestant.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 15th, 2016 at 12:50:20 PM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 301
Posts: 9756
Quote: TheCesspit
I think that FrGamble is co-opting Shakespeare as a Catholic a little too freely.


Oh, but that's just one of those things that would be surprising, if only they were surprising, you know.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
August 15th, 2016 at 1:11:25 PM permalink
FrGamble
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 42
Posts: 4742
Quote: TheCesspit
I think that FrGamble is co-opting Shakespeare as a Catholic a little too freely. It's not clear if he was... He married in a Protestant church, and left a Church of England will. C of E was definitely new in his time, and catholicism was banned in the UK still, but there exists no strong evidence that he was a good Catholic or a good Protestant.


Yeah I think I overshot with saying he was a good Catholic. I do think he was Catholic and certainly knew Christianity well as it pervades his writing and thought.
Page 1 of 41234>