censoring a movie star's age

Page 2 of 2<12
September 26th, 2016 at 11:48:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
It's a take on the titles of regular TBBT episodes, like "The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis."

Actually there was one episode called "The Hamburger Postulate" which is not exactly a proper use of the word either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyA4Nl112E0
September 27th, 2016 at 6:48:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Actually there was one episode called "The Hamburger Postulate" which is not exactly a proper use of the word either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyA4Nl112E0

I think that's when Sheldon decides the cheeseburger at The Cheesecake Factory is better than the one at Big Boy.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 27th, 2016 at 10:47:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I think that's when Sheldon decides the cheeseburger at The Cheesecake Factory is better than the one at Big Boy.

Yes it was a funny episode, as Lesley is just using Leonard to satisfy her biannual need for sex and the guys start going to the Cheesecake Factory.
But they do not "postulate" anything.

Quote: Series 01 Episode 05 – The Hamburger Postulate

Scene: The Cheesecake Factory
Leonard: Just get a hamburger, you like hamburgers.
Sheldon: I like the hamburgers where we usually have hamburgers, you can’t make the assumption that I’ll like the hamburgers here.
Leonard: I’m sorry. Give him a hamburger.
Penny: Uh, which one, the Classic Burger, the Ranch House Burger, the Barbecue Burger or the Kobe burger?
Sheldon: Can’t we just go to Big Boy? They only have one burger. The Big Boy.
Penny: The Barbecue Burger is like the Big Boy.
Sheldon: Excuse me, in a world that already includes the Big Boy, why would I settle for something like a Big Boy?
Penny: Because you are not at Big Boy!
Sheldon: Fine, I’ll have the Barbecue Burger.
Leonard: Make it two.
Sheldon: Waitresses don’t yell at you at Big Boy.
Scene: The Cheesecake Factory.
Sheldon: You know, I think I may have misjudged this restaurant.
Leonard: No kidding.
Sheldon: I won’t go out on a limb, but I think we may be looking at my new Tuesday hamburger.
Leonard: Your old Tuesday hamburger will be so broken hearted.
Sheldon: Way ahead of you. I was thinking of moving Big Boy to Thursdays, and just dropping Soup Plantation.
Leonard: Really?
Sheldon: Yeah, the name always confused me anyway, Soup Plantation. You can’t grow soup.
Penny: So, how’s everything.
Sheldon: Terrific, you’ll be happy to know that I plan to come here every Tuesday night for the foreseeable future.
Penny: Really, oh yay!
Sheldon: Who do I speak to about permanently reserving this table?
Penny: Um, I don’t know, a psychiatrist? So hey, how are things with you and Lesley?
Leonard: Oh, to be honest, I don’t think it’s going to work out.
Penny: Oh, oh that’s too bad. Well hey, don’t worry, I’m sure there is someone out there who is just right for you. (Walks away smiling).
Leonard: Well what did she mean by that? Was that just a generic platitude or was that a subtle bid for attention?
Sheldon: You know why this hamburger surpasses the Big Boy? This is a single decker hamburger whereas the Big Boy is a double decker. This has a much more satisfying meat to bun to condiment ratio.
Leonard: Are you even listening to me?
Sheldon: Of course I’m listening. Blah blah, hopeless Penny delusion, blah blah blah.
Leonard: Okay then. You know, you can grow the ingredients for soup. (Sheldon nods).
September 27th, 2016 at 11:13:55 AM permalink
Nareed
But they do not "postulate" anything.

Do you mean that because Sheldon tested the burgers experimentally, he drew a conclusion instead?

I'd forgotten it was the one with Leslie and the tie on the doorknob.
September 27th, 2016 at 9:59:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Do you mean that because Sheldon tested the burgers experimentally, he drew a conclusion instead?

Precisely. A postulate is something you either assume is obviously true, or for the sake of argument you assume it is true.

In a 1980 film with Jill Clayburgh they were very careful to have her use all the mathematical terms very accurately, like "lemma" and "group" and "well defined", etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etbcKWEKnvg

Even though most of the viewers could care less, the director wanted to be very authentic. I don't think they have an expert for TBBT that checks the accuracy of all the statements. Most Cal-tech physicists are not fan-boys. It's more of a fantasy.
September 28th, 2016 at 6:51:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Precisely. A postulate is something you either assume is obviously true, or for the sake of argument you assume it is true.

But "better" is not a precise term, and in the realm of hamburgers it's highly subjective. Hardly scientific at all :)

Actually the science on the topic of flavor is that there is no universal "best," but rather a variety of foods that will prove satisfying to a variety of people.

Quote:
I don't think they have an expert for TBBT that checks the accuracy of all the statements.

Not all of them, but if they had no checks at all, the guys would be talking Trek-style technobabble by now.

Quote:
Most Cal-tech physicists are not fan-boys. It's more of a fantasy.

That's a damned lie!! :)

Actually, it's shown in the series. Kripke admits he doesn't even watch Star Trek. On the other hand, Stewart and Will are not scientists.
Page 2 of 2<12