General science thread

July 2nd, 2022 at 12:31:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I’m expecting to be disappointed by the James telescope pictures or confused at what I am looking at. I don’t know why. But that reminded me of a movie (the name of which I can’t remember at the moment) of the guy who radiates himself (or something) and his vision continues to increase until he has to wear a blindfold with blacked out glasses in order to see normally. At the end of the movie when he’s working as psychic visionary in a traveling ministry, he’s finally sees so far into space and time he screams as he sees something looking back.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2022 at 10:09:44 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
unusual evidently ... and 6000 miles so far

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 9th, 2022 at 1:15:47 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote:
Ceres unlike other solar bodies such as Europa and Earth has no source of internal heat. [not] from the decay of radioactive materials in the core [and not] Tidal heating. [The presence of liquid water] emphasizes the power of salts in sustaining the presence of liquid water and reveals a wealth of activity on a cold desolate proto-planet.

Able to stay liquid after 4.5 billion years? I think so.

http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com/2020/09/the-strange-surface-of-ceres.html
July 12th, 2022 at 11:27:58 AM permalink
rxwine
She’s going to have some full length video later tonight. She’s at a conference in a room full of others in the same profession to observe the release of new pics.

Quote: rxwine
I watch Dr. Becky. She got real excited at the launch and first pic from James Web telescope. Waiting to see her first analysis of the first focused pictures from Webb

There's another astronomy related channel with a guy I click on when I see it in the side bar, but I'm not even sure who it is.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 13th, 2022 at 11:49:36 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Hail to the 8-track!

Quote:
To handle all these challenges, the Voyagers, each about the size of an old Volkswagen Beetle, needed some onboard intelligence. So NASA's engineers equipped the vehicles' computers with 69 kilobytes of memory, less than a hundred thousandth the capacity of a typical smartphone. In fact, the smartphone comparison is not quite right. “The Voyager computers have less memory than the key fob that opens your car door,” Spilker says. All the data collected by the spacecraft instruments would be stored on eight-track tape recorders and then sent back to Earth by a 23-watt transmitter—about the power level of a refrigerator light bulb. To compensate for the weak transmitter, both Voyagers carry 12-foot-wide dish antennas to send and receive signals.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/record-breaking-voyager-spacecraft-begin-to-power-down/
July 27th, 2022 at 2:05:43 PM permalink
odiousgambit
this is in fact* not an asteroid, which probably shows someone wanted to manipulate by fear. Also a good illustration of the slingshot effect

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/w8q4gg/path_of_an_asteroid_that_has_multiple_close_calls/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J002E3

* according to wikipedia article
July 27th, 2022 at 2:07:45 PM permalink
odiousgambit
from wikipedia you don't have to click

July 31st, 2022 at 11:59:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Airbus Zephyr S is a high-altitude uncrewed aerial drone, currently undergoing tests in the stratosphere over the Yuma Proving Ground in Arizona. Every hour it sets a new record for the longest uncrewed flight. The Army’s Assured Positioning, Navigation and Timing/Space Cross-Functional Team–the experimentation wing of Army Futures Command–is currently flying the drone in a study on its power system, overall endurance and its capabilities in the stratosphere.\

The current record setting flight has nearly doubled its 2018 record test flight where it stayed in the air for 25 days and 23 hours. The Army’s APNT/Space CFT most recent statement on the tests was on July 21, when the drone had already set a new record.

The current, extremely long flight is full of first, including flying outside of the Yuma Proving Ground space and international territory, soaring over the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean, even making it all of the way to Belize. The War Zone reported on its aerial routes, noting it’s making some interesting patterns in the sky. The drone’s operators are drawing mathematical symbols and even spelling out letters with its flight paths.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-army-has-a-drone-flying-over-the-american-southwest-that-refuses-to-die/ar-AA109CTY?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=f84392df97514f909cf5ac46bd3c3d56
August 1st, 2022 at 2:56:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The Heliopause is about 11 billion miles from the Sun, but that is about 123 times the distance of the Earth to the Sun. So it is not really wrong to say that it is ~ 11 billion miles from the Earth as well.

Quote: odiousgambit
As Voyager II exited the Heliopause, about 11 billion miles from Earth, the temperature of space there surprised scientists.

The heliopause is the theoretical boundary where the Sun's solar wind is stopped by the interstellar medium; where the solar wind's strength is no longer great enough to push back the stellar winds of the surrounding stars. This is the boundary where the interstellar medium and solar wind pressures balance. The heliopause is a plasma layer that encloses the heliosphere.
August 1st, 2022 at 3:43:48 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Apparently it is a common mistake with journalists to assume the heliosphere is the extent of the solar system... in fact I guess I assumed that too, but in one article I read the scientist interviewed begged the reporter not to make that mistake, so that informed me too.

the Oort Cloud is way the hell out there and part of the solar system as those objects orbit the sun. Starts at about 2000 astronomical units, which is 1.8591e+11 miles ... which means you multiply by 10^11, so you can see why they started using AUs... extending to perhaps 200,000 AUs which is crazy far out there [3.2 light years]

this image is logarithmic scale it seems