Ghosting someone

Page 2 of 2<12
December 25th, 2016 at 7:59:21 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I thought ghosting someone was after a longer relationship that you dropped out of sight and communication. Apparently Charlize Theron did it to Alecia Baldwin. Rather that not sending anything after a first date.

The latter is a bit rude, but I understand it.

The former really obnoxious. Unless there's been abuse, then I get it.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 25th, 2016 at 11:08:59 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: AZDuffman
Sounds like someone in 1925 bragging that they never used a phone and if someone wants them they can send a letter.

Well, pride in ignorance is an odd-seeming thing, but one certainly hears it a lot these days. For example, Trump says he doesn't read and won't attend intelligence briefings. (Is he even ABLE to read and would he have a prayer of understanding even 5% of what was told him at those briefings?)
December 25th, 2016 at 11:17:52 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: TheCesspit
I thought ghosting someone was after a longer relationship that you dropped out of sight and communication. Apparently Charlize Theron did it to Alecia Baldwin. Rather that not sending anything after a first date.

The latter is a bit rude, but I understand it.

The former really obnoxious. Unless there's been abuse, then I get it.

As far as I can tell, there's no way on most text platforms to block a specific user. You might be able to block a number, but a person wanting to bug you could text from several different numbers. So I do understand why someone would just ignore a series of texts that they can't actually stop. Plus, in a social environment where texting is the primary means of communication for teens and millennials (seriously, I've seen people texting each other while sitting at the same table in a coffee shop), I would imagine that refusing to respond to texts is the worst kind of disdain--sort of like Amish shunning.

There's precedent for ignoring someone being even worse than other ways of defeating them. The Nazis used "Nacht und Nebel" (Night and Fog) for their worst political enemies. A person would simply disappear. All records of the person would be destroyed and authorities would profess ignorance of the person's fate or even prior existence. Chillingly effective.

For some reason, I've been thinking about Nazi practices just after they seized power. The parallels are so unavoidable--though Hitler wasn't orange.
Page 2 of 2<12