Python hunting

March 15th, 2017 at 10:05:43 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
somehow I was of the opinion that he dropped the phone because the snake was curling itself around his gun arm and he had to switch hands to keep firing the pistol.
Do you think it was a rifle he had? A rifle shot at close range should have done the job in spades. Nine shots? Strange. Kind of hard to hold a cell phone and fire a rifle at the same time, so I think it was a pistol at close range the snake tried to shorten the distance.
March 15th, 2017 at 12:05:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Pythons and alligators both use ambush tactics. Although gators can't hide in a tree. (hopefully).

Wondering what the odds are if the gator clamps on the snake first but then gets a couple coils around it. Who wins?

Underwater, a long snake probably has an advantage. It can stick it's head out of the water if it needs air while keeping the gator under.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 15th, 2017 at 12:14:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
It seems there are a good many encounters that the gators back down from, but if there is a fight it seems the gators are losing.
March 15th, 2017 at 12:20:01 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: odiousgambit

Sometimes you realize extra shots you take were un-needed - the amount of flopping around that can go on is surprising. It's happened to me often enough.

Here's one for any anti-lites you may encounter...

The body is made to go at all times. Sans some sort of control mechanism, you'd be bopping and kicking as hard and fast as you could until your heart blew out, it's simply how higher vertebrates have evolved. It is only the brain that filters and whoa's that process down.

When you brain something, you destroy that filtering process. The only thing left to send signals is the spinal column, and it's turned on always. It's actually on right now, sending every signal it can possibly send at all times, it's just that your brain is filtering and shutting it all down. A head shot IS an insta-kill, but in those few moments before cell death, the spinal cord is still "alive" and blasting out continuous signals. That's where you get the imagery that looks as if it's still trying to run away, or thrashing away in pain. No pain, it IS dead. The cord just hasn't failed yet.

Anyway...

That was a pistol. Looked to be a 1911, though no clue on make.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 17th, 2017 at 6:47:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
JUst learned of this.
25 individuals April first and onward for sixty days
GPS enabled phone
No felony or game related convictions for five years.

Minimum wage plus Bounty. Eight foot snake gets 150.00 bounty.

This is SWwater district not Fish and Game which never offers a bounty.

I assume they have already hired since the notice was March 9th, but I have not been able to find out for sure.

https://www.sfwmd.gov/our-work/python-program
March 17th, 2017 at 6:47:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
JUst learned of this.
25 individuals April first and onward for sixty days
GPS enabled phone
No felony or game related convictions for five years.

Minimum wage plus Bounty. Eight foot snake gets 150.00 bounty.

This is SWwater district not Fish and Game which never offers a bounty.

I assume they have already hired since the notice was March 9th, but I have not been able to find out for sure.

https://www.sfwmd.gov/our-work/python-program
April 5th, 2017 at 5:57:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Two snake wranglers working as bounty hunters for SW water district catch 15 foot 144 pound python. Record breaking.

The second I get out of the car, and I look over it's this big python stretched there where the trees meet the water. When we jumped at it, he goes and grabs it by the tail. The snake starts to beeline into the trees, ‘Go for the head, go for the head.’ I'm trying to get into the trees because it's all over the place," "I started to try to pull it, so it wouldn't go into the water, and the snake just turns straight around and beelines toward my face. That's when he came in, and he jumped from behind and grabbed it by the head, and he even got nipped a couple times,"

$350.00 for fifteen minutes work.
April 5th, 2017 at 12:30:56 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Fleastiff
Two snake wranglers working as bounty hunters for SW water district catch 15 foot 144 pound python. Record breaking.

The second I get out of the car, and I look over it's this big python stretched there where the trees meet the water. When we jumped at it, he goes and grabs it by the tail. The snake starts to beeline into the trees, ‘Go for the head, go for the head.’ I'm trying to get into the trees because it's all over the place," "I started to try to pull it, so it wouldn't go into the water, and the snake just turns straight around and beelines toward my face. That's when he came in, and he jumped from behind and grabbed it by the head, and he even got nipped a couple times,"

$350.00 for fifteen minutes work.

Is the bounty based on the length/weight of the snake? In the previous post, you mentioned that it was $150 for an 8 footer.
April 5th, 2017 at 12:59:08 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Ayecarumba
Is the bounty based on the length/weight of the snake? In the previous post, you mentioned that it was $150 for an 8 footer.

What? You relying on me or anything I say or my math skills? You must be drunk. I can't even remember what comes after Walla.

You get paid fifty dollars for the first four feet.... after that its twenty five dollars a foot, but I don't know how many feet a snake has.

Fish and Game don't pay nuttin' but they let you sell meat and hides and photos.

Water Authority pays you minium wages per hour plus a bounty. And assigns you to better territory if you do well. These two were driving along a "road" and spotted a snake... in fifteen minutes they made 350.00 (more or less, depending upon my sobriety and math skills). Road means dirt track, not pavement just two sets of tire tracks with some grassy stuff growing in the middle a few inches high. Four wheel drive vehicles and survival supplies or you are an idiot. Firearm or you are a panther's dinner at night. If stuck for the night, you stay inside the vehicle and get eaten my mosquitoes or you go outside and get eaten by a gator.

Note: Walla Walla, Washington is site of Washington State Penin.pentin.. er uh,,, Prison.
April 5th, 2017 at 1:25:36 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I note on the website that "total compensation will not exceed $6,000".