Python hunting

Page 8 of 9« First<56789>
December 21st, 2017 at 3:05:02 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Good news???????
Gizmodo reports some weird fungus is stalking snakes... all snakes world wide.
Maybe the fungus will reach the everglades and rid of us all those pythons.
May 22nd, 2018 at 3:31:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
1000 snakes caught.

Quote:
I love snakes actually," he said. "But I also love the Everglades. I grew up here and it's not the same. You don't see the same fish. You don't see any mammals. All you really see are pythons."

Since they first arrived about three decades ago - either as escaped pets or loosed from a nearby breeding facility by Hurricane Andrew - pythons have taken control of the marshes, becoming their top predator and gobbling up nearly all the small mammals. According to one study, the number of raccoons and possums in Everglades National Park had dropped by 99 and 88 percent, respectively, by 2011. No marsh rabbits or bobcats could be found. Scientists also think the snakes are increasingly crowding around tree islands and feasting on wading birds.

I guess when the pythons eat everything they'll be gone too.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/floridas-everglades-now-have-1000-fewer-pythons/ar-AAxEXk7?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 22nd, 2018 at 3:47:35 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: rxwine
I guess when the pythons eat everything they'll be gone too.
Not necessarily. All such estimates are subject to gross errors. Pythons are particularly hard to spot and so may well be under counted. Often a Python Census will be taken near what passes for a roadway for the convenience of the census takers but that is unlikely to be truly representative of a population in a less accessible area.

Hungry snakes will migrate, but even if they die out completely once the Everglades are gone they will never rebound. Condos do not become wetlands.
May 22nd, 2018 at 4:16:10 PM permalink
rxwine
They don't seem to like the weather in N. Florida. Only migration is water, south, east or west
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 22nd, 2018 at 4:23:15 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: rAsxwine
They don't seem to like the weather in N. Florida. Only migration is water, south, east or west
As water warms sea snakes are becoming a problem and pythons are inclined to migrate to warmer places including north if need be. Yachts are reporting more intense barnacle activity, ciguatera poisoning is becoming more common and, most dreaded of all, cone snails seem to be on the rebound.
August 25th, 2018 at 9:44:55 AM permalink
Fleastiff
BAD NEWS. ('cept maybe its good news for our intrepid Face).

It has been determined by scientists employed by the US Geological Survey that the pythons in the Everglades appear to be a hybrid of two separate python species and that this will make them a super predator since the aggressiveness, skills and habitat preferences will make the snakes a worse pest than they already are.

Don't know why Face can't rig up a hyperspectral set-up to his GoPro on a QuadCopter and clean out them critters once and for all.
November 3rd, 2018 at 7:43:40 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Tonight.
CBSN a cable and internet channel presents The Burmese Python Invasion 8pm EST, 11pm EST and 2:00am tomorrow EST.
clock changes are a mystery to me so ... beware. Don't know if its a repeat or not
December 5th, 2018 at 6:20:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
No major changes.
Professional reptile wranglers are doing well enough to prosper, but no open seasons or public bounty ptograms envisioned in the near future.
March 25th, 2019 at 12:45:58 AM permalink
rxwine
More invasive species problems in Florida

Quote:
Thousands of adorable but poisonous Bufo toads, which can kill pets and are dangerous to children, have invaded a suburban Florida neighborhood.

Cane toads, as they are known, range from 6 to 9 inches in length. Their babies are dime-sized, though, and those are the creatures hopping around in droves.
“I just see a massive amount of toads or frogs everywhere, covering every square inch,” said Jennifer Quasha, who lives in an affected area of Palm Beach Gardens, to WPTV. “You can’t even walk through the grass without stepping on one.”

Besides being disconcerting, the invasive amphibians – first introduced to south Florida from their native Central and South America as pest control in sugar cane fields – can harm small animals and children.

Luckily there’s an outfit called Toad Busters ready to come to the rescue of residents and their pets.
March 25th, 2019 at 7:14:14 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Those cane toads areawful for tiretraction too and importing Texas Toads as pest controls a felony and doesn't work to well because they never eat more cane toads than they want to.
Page 8 of 9« First<56789>